No announcement yet.

Oklahoma 9/23 Noon Fox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the box score from the game. Interesting rushing stats for EJ. Metayer is going to be really good although I couldn't believe he dropped that pass. That was probably a missed oppourtinty for a TD.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401525845
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
      Here's the box score from the game. Interesting rushing stats for EJ. Metayer is going to be really good although I couldn't believe he dropped that pass. That was probably a missed oppourtinty for a TD.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401525845
      That Matayer drop was right where my seat was….it was one of 2-3 drops yesterday that could have helped keep the offense in the field. That being said, Matayer has a lot of potential with his size & speed. Emory floats many of his passes-I don’t have much confidence that he’s the 2023 answer. As many have mentioned, he does not have the ability to get through his reads (o-line often isn’t helping ) and forces throws into double coverage. If you look at his stats for games 2-4, he’s statistically awful across the board. In my mind, give one of the Brady’s some meaningful snaps, it clearly can’t hurt.

Comment

Does Satterfield call the offense or is there an OC? Whomever is calling these plays has to change. Every pass play is a throw outside the numbers. When a pass is thrown in between the numbers, it almost always results in a positive play. But not too many opportunities to date. Yes, there have been interceptions thrown there but at least you are giving the receiver some open field to work with when he catches the pass between the numbers. Jones is not an accurate passer and that is amplified by pass plays to the sidelines - less room for error. The Cats have now gone more than full game without scoring a TD which simply must change. And they must use the TEs more often - it would open up the field quite a bit.

Comment

Satterfield is stubborn about offensive play calls. AFAIK he calls them all himself and the OC is just for consulting

Comment

Little post mortem from Justin WIlliams. ($)

https://theathletic.com/4896213/2023...otball-big-12/
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Three thoughts on the game. Three Thoughts on Oklahoma's 20-6 Win Over Cincinnati (heartlandcollegesports.com)

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                EMORY JONES WILL HAVE TO BE MORE EFFICIENT

On the flip side of this equation, Cincinnati quarterback Emory Jones must be more efficient if the Bearcats are going to get out of the rut they find themselves in. Against Oklahoma, Jones went 22-41 and threw for 235 yards and two interceptions. He was the Bearcats’ leading rusher but turned 15 carries into just 42 yards (2.8 yards per carry). There were times when he missed open receivers, overthrew chances for big plays, and potentially left some points on the field. Sure, it was against a much-improved Oklahoma defense, but there were chances that he simply missed. With a road trip to BYU coming next week, he won’t have much time to get things going before the next stiff challenge.

A very accurate summation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post

EMORY JONES WILL HAVE TO BE MORE EFFICIENT

On the flip side of this equation, Cincinnati quarterback Emory Jones must be more efficient if the Bearcats are going to get out of the rut they find themselves in. Against Oklahoma, Jones went 22-41 and threw for 235 yards and two interceptions. He was the Bearcats’ leading rusher but turned 15 carries into just 42 yards (2.8 yards per carry). There were times when he missed open receivers, overthrew chances for big plays, and potentially left some points on the field. Sure, it was against a much-improved Oklahoma defense, but there were chances that he simply missed. With a road trip to BYU coming next week, he won’t have much time to get things going before the next stiff challenge.

A very accurate summation.
                  not saying that EJ has been great / really good, but he doesn't exactly have the luxury of sitting back there. he's been on the run an awful lot so far.

Comment

I hear you, but as a 6th year QB having started
                    for two different P5 programs, his processing speed, his ability to read/react, isn’t very good. Now, since the decision has been made to start him, I’d ask if the coaching staff isn’t equally to blame for his ineffectiveness. Maybe more shot gun? Definitely more slants across the middle to keep his eyes open to the whole field. All these routes to the sidelines is leaving open receivers on the opposite side of the field as missed opportunities. Having been to 2 of the 3 games in person, you can watch all the options and see how target 1 focused he is a lot of the time. I think Friday’s a great opportunity to see what his road presence is, amidst a raucous crowd. Another ineffective performance with no vertical passing or at least 1-2 passing TD’s, I’d ask why we aren’t looking to the future.

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.H. View Post

not saying that EJ has been great / really good, but he doesn't exactly have the luxury of sitting back there. he's been on the run an awful lot so far.
                      Interesting that this forum didn’t give this same excuse to last year’s QB - who just put up 400 yards and 4 TDs with a fragile roster and against a good Big 10 defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
                        I hear you, but as a 6th year QB having started
                        for two different P5 programs, his processing speed, his ability to read/react, isn’t very good. Now, since the decision has been made to start him, I’d ask if the coaching staff isn’t equally to blame for his ineffectiveness. Maybe more shot gun? Definitely more slants across the middle to keep his eyes open to the whole field. All these routes to the sidelines is leaving open receivers on the opposite side of the field as missed opportunities. Having been to 2 of the 3 games in person, you can watch all the options and see how target 1 focused he is a lot of the time. I think Friday’s a great opportunity to see what his road presence is, amidst a raucous crowd. Another ineffective performance with no vertical passing or at least 1-2 passing TD’s, I’d ask why we aren’t looking to the future.
                        Some of the stuff with EJ, and the receivers for that matter, may just be an unfamiliarity with the offense they're running. A lot of these guys have been at UC all of 3 months. Some closer to 6. With a couple of exceptions like Wiggins who transferred from Louisville, none of them have experience in this scheme on a gameday except for the last 4 games.

Satterfield maybe very limited in what he can call on offense due to this. Therefore you get extremely predictable play calling because you can't call something they can't run well yet. It sort of reminds me of Cronin trying to install the offense halfway through the non conference schedule in basketball and wondering why we get beat by Presbyterian early in the season.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

Interesting that this forum didn’t give this same excuse to last year’s QB - who just put up 400 yards and 4 TDs with a fragile roster and against a good Big 10 defense.
                          You're not wrong.

Jones is more mobile then Ben. He at least gives you a shot at running for a first down even if he doesn't get there. Ben definitely throws a better ball than Emory does but he's a sitting duck against a good pass rush with the O lIne we have. I think the result of having Ben out there against Oklahoma would have been a lot more sacks and nowhere close to the yardage he put up at Northwestern this past weekend.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

You're not wrong.

Jones is more mobile then Ben. He at least gives you a shot at running for a first down even if he doesn't get there. Ben definitely throws a better ball than Emory does but he's a sitting duck against a good pass rush with the O lIne we have. I think the result of having Ben out there against Oklahoma would have been a lot more sacks and nowhere close to the yardage he put up at Northwestern this past weekend.
                            I agree but I also think Ben was better at finding open receivers

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post

I agree but I also think Ben was better at finding open receivers
                              Without a doubt
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Some of the stuff with EJ, and the receivers for that matter, may just be an unfamiliarity with the offense they're running. A lot of these guys have been at UC all of 3 months. Some closer to 6. With a couple of exceptions like Wiggins who transferred from Louisville, none of them have experience in this scheme on a gameday except for the last 4 games.

Satterfield maybe very limited in what he can call on offense due to this. Therefore you get extremely predictable play calling because you can't call something they can't run well yet. It sort of reminds me of Cronin trying to install the offense halfway through the non conference schedule in basketball and wondering why we get beat by Presbyterian early in the season.
                                Didn’t Dee Wiggins play in this offense at Louisville? I know Henderson played for a full year with Emory. My point is that this isn’t a group that’s totally unfamiliar with what’s around them. I also think throwing short slants & screens shouldn’t take 4 games. Satterfield’s post game comments were definitely not what I appreciate. He needs to be a little more accountable and a little more reflective about what’s happening. Let’s at least try running the TE’s across the middle, WR slants to the inside, RB’s that get 20 carries a game…..it can’t hurt.
                                Last edited by Bearcat93; 09-25-2023, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X