No announcement yet.

NIL Things - All Sports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryan Day hit the corporations for help. He says just a phone call away from losing players. Fear perhaps but today's reality:
    Day spoke in front of 100 members of the Columbus business community and potential NIL donors Thursday morning, talking about what On3’s Pete Nakos called his boldest strategy yet: “putting a price tag on how much it will take to keep the Buckeyes competitive.”

Day made the comment that $13 million will keep Ohio State at the top of college football. From conversations with recruits and families, Day and his staff have cobbled together a blueprint of what other schools are offering.
    One phone call, and they’re out the door,” Day said. “We cannot let that happen at Ohio State. I’m not trying to sound the alarm, I’m just trying to be transparent about what we’re dealing with.”

Day said the Buckeyes have been gathering information by talking to recruits and their families and getting a sense of what other schools might be discussing with NIL deals. He said he believes right now top-shelf quarterbacks require $2 million in NIL money. Major offensive tackles and edge rushers he said are about $1 million.

To be clear, this isn't a matter of just dropping McDonald's bags of cash to land recruits – Day and Gene Smith were both pretty clear that Ohio State had no intention of getting into the world of straight payments for commitments.

But brand endorsements, autograph signings, camps, guest appearances, and promoting businesses – that's where the money is going to come from. And with the number of local business partners eager to do business with the Buckeyes, that seems entirely realistic.

Players not having to sit out for transferring one time plays a big role in this. After one massive season, other programs could come calling if a player chooses to enter the transfer portal. It also goes into the world of recruiting. Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith referenced schools that are basically directly paying recruits through NIL right now, which isn’t technically allowed by NCAA rules, but it is something that has not been enforced.

UDF I would like to see pics of Bearcat 5 stars eating ice cream and then shopping at Kroger.

It is just the tip of the iceberg,
    Last edited by leo from jersey; 06-03-2022, 07:05 AM.

Comment

I guess it had to happen, but now a basketball team (Duke) has hired a General Manager.

https://theathletic.com/news/duke-ba.../lUTm1AAXlDUs/

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
        I guess it had to happen, but now a basketball team (Duke) has hired a General Manager.

https://theathletic.com/news/duke-ba.../lUTm1AAXlDUs/
        they don't call them a GM but tOSU and others have an employee in charge of handling NILs and a separate staff just for transfers. Big business.

Comment

C.J. Stroud has made some excellent use of his NIL and will now be driving a brand new Bentley Bentayga, valued at $150,000, as part of a partnership with Sarchione Auto Gallery in Canton.

As part of the deal, Stroud will promote the auto dealership on social media and make public appearances at its gallery, the Columbus Dispatch reports.

According to The Dispatch, Stroud received offers from other car dealerships but was interested in this one after seeing former teammate Chris Olave driving a BMW X7 ahead of the NFL draft as part of a similar partnership. So he had his agency reach out, and they worked out a deal.
          Last edited by leo from jersey; 06-11-2022, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Stroud is not the only one. Several QBs have struck deal with luxury dealership. Quinn Ewers, now at Texas, has an Aston Martin
            Last edited by Lobot; 06-09-2022, 08:07 AM.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The sad thing as I project it, these players making so much money will become less hungry and thus less determined to be the best that they can be. I predict that there will be many players who were projected to be NFL draftees not going beyond college. Thus, no education, no more on the money teet of the boosters, and no job. Just a gut feeling. A sad feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                The sad thing as I project it, these players making so much money will become less hungry and thus less determined to be the best that they can be. I predict that there will be many players who were projected to be NFL draftees not going beyond college. Thus, no education, no more on the money teet of the boosters, and no job. Just a gut feeling. A sad feeling.
                This is definitely a problem in the NBA where coaches are not much more than figureheads for when something goes wrong. The NFL is heading that path, but I think college won't because only a few players are "set for life" with an NIL deal and they will still want more from NFL. Plus the college coaches will sit 'em if not performing
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

More more more - just a start
                  Ohio State quarterback CJ Stroud scored an NIL deal with Sarchione auto gallery that originally netted him a $150,000 Bentley Bentagya. Stroud actually chose a $200,000 Mercedes G-Wagon, in what he called a “game-day decision, "according to front office sports
                  Last edited by leo from jersey; 06-11-2022, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                    More more more - just a start
                    Ohio State quarterback CJ Stroud scored an NIL deal with Sarchione auto gallery that originally netted him a $150,000 Bentley Bentagya. Stroud actually chose a $200,000 Mercedes G-Wagon, in what he called a “game-day decision, "according to front office sports
                    Well, he's about to find out that free isn't totally free, when he files his tax return next year. Honestly, the value of his scholarship should be taxable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Well, he's about to find out that free isn't totally free, when he files his tax return next year. Honestly, the value of his scholarship should be taxable as well.
                      I believe they structured these to 501 c3 non profit. I know giving to them is tax deductible

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                        I believe they structured these to 501 c3 non profit. I know giving to them is tax deductible
                        Giving and receiving are treated differently. If this is truly NIL compensation, it should be taxable income to the recipient. But, since tO$U plays dirty, I am sure they will find some way around it.

Comment

The investigations by the NCAA have begun. First on the docket award goes to the U and local super booster John Ruiz.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ollege-sports/
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Nice piece in the Enquirer about how UC and Cunningham are stepping up. Great news. I get skyline sent up here so I am glad to support our OL NIL.

Comment

From the article about the top 10 QBs for 2023 - Where the top 10 quarterback prospects in 2023 are headed (usatoday.com)
                              2023 QB Jaden Rashada has reportedly agreed to an NIL deal with Miami booster John Ruiz worth $9.5 million

Comment

Looks like we’ve ratcheted up a level here:

https://gobearcats.com/news/2022/7/2...gh-impact.aspx
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X