Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to to be a bit funny If the fanbase has gone completely off the rails at JB and it's not his fault after all. This is more and more looking like a combination of a mutiny and bad management.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
      Going to to be a bit funny If the fanbase has gone completely off the rails at JB and it's not his fault after all. This is more and more looking like a combination of a mutiny and bad management.
      A byproduct of no information. *shrug* Minds race. Mine included.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
        Leo, I wish to not begin an debate but you cannot expect the ethics and morals of kids from the 60's to be the same as today. Yes they played for the love of the game then, but today not so much its not the same. These kids are being groomed, tutored, being sought after and even offered shoe endorsement as young as middle school, the aau circuit, national and international rankings as they advancen, all the while every adult telling them they are No. 1, they are all looking to the pros every single one of them. It is nothing but a factory putting out kids who can dribble and shoot. Look, from several interviews JB made the statement that during the lockdown he had to begin delivering meals to these kids. Someone else on here questioned the severity of the lockdown, but from all thats been forthcoming these kids were sequestered in their dorms, left in the dark like mushrooms, as everyone one (excepting a few students) were getting virtually educated and so clifton was abandoned. They were not allowed to socialize with anyone outside the team, no contact with their parents other than zoom for fear of bringing the feared covid on board. Which it did eventually happen. These kids are pampered, and have been since they began playing ball, told that they are the greatest and their shot to the pros is legit and now they are left alone for the first time with only JB and his staff looking out for them. Look Im not saying that JB could not of handled things better. But, based on what TN has said it and reading into all that has been said it looks as though the parents of some of these kids didnt like the way their child was treated and given court time. GM couldnt handle not being in thiscenviornment and left. There is no precedent established on working through these times and yet He( JB) under contract and is still expected to put a winning product on the floor. Is there going to hurt feelings? yes. And some parents have invested too much money in their kids future for them not to be hilighted! Anybody who has been in organized sports knows about parents and their stars in the making! We may never know the entire ins and outs of all that occured but it is interesting that only the freshmen are leaving ( except Diarra). Ill guarantee Ed Jucker didnt have to deal with helicopter parents like todays coaches do. And as has been mentioned before as no word is coming from the uc board speaks alot at least until we know more.
        Not debating just saying how different my generation was and lamenting this mess. Yes I know about recruiting as on the AAU circuit my 6th grader was hounded even by gamblers. Many giving shoes. What a mess my friend. I take what TN says with caution. He needs a job. I am waiting for an independent former Bearcat to speak up and not those employed or wanting to coach. I am sure some of them know the truth. I will say other schools are having the same problems yet they are manipulating their way through it. JB is getting paid huge dollars not for 1960 skills but current day, He has not shown he is worthy of that money. Rufus at least I have memories of the glory days and my desire is that the team will give you some and me some more.

Comment

• I was watching Episode 4 of Last Chance U: Basketball last night, during which they spent several minutes focusing on players' disappointment in their roles and getting upset with the coach and his ways/tactics. This is at a junior college. It happens at every level. Everyone thinks they are really good and deserving of maximum PT and most coaches find ways to piss off their players (worsened when a player is already unhappy with his role). I'm not absolving Brannen of any "mismanagement," but my stance softened when I saw Jeremiah Davenport rally around him/the program and I do think a lot of this might be on the kids leaving (and their parents) - and I'm definitely thinking mostly about Saunders compared to the Madsen bros and even Eason because he is from the other side of the country. This was going to be a difficult year regardless and there were probably missteps along the way from CJB and staff. But I do think many kids struggle with adversity and not having a "normal year" didn't help - completely changed everyone's experience (imagine, for example, if the Saunders fam got to come to every game and interact with all the players and coaches and fans - rather than, presumably, watch on TV and sit on Twitter). Notice how the freshmen are all leaving, but as of now we expect two sophomores and a junior to return -- and two of the opt-outs who returned during the season were a junior (DeJulius) and a redshirt junior (Diarra).

Comment

• Lobot... I will say that if that turns out to be the case, it's on UC. When this stuff happens and they allow a vacuum of information to exist. That vacuum will be filled with information by others. Chances are, a LOT of that information will be inaccurate. Same things happens in the workplace.. People get wind of something coming from corporate.. without any real details.. the RUMOR MILL will go into high gear. So... have a mass exodus of players that the CURRENT COACH brought in and then say NOTHING for DAYS ?!! A problem of their making.

Comment

• That is my sincere hope also leo

Comment

• Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
                Lobot... I will say that if that turns out to be the case, it's on UC. When this stuff happens and they allow a vacuum of information to exist. That vacuum will be filled with information by others. Chances are, a LOT of that information will be inaccurate. Same things happens in the workplace.. People get wind of something coming from corporate.. without any real details.. the RUMOR MILL will go into high gear. So... have a mass exodus of players that the CURRENT COACH brought in and then say NOTHING for DAYS ?!! A problem of their making.
                You and Colonel are correct. If the fanbase is wrong and we probably are, how do you salvage the fan's confidence in the Athletic Dept staff and coaches at this point? The only way I think of where that happens is that the players were at fault. So you might have a scenario where the Dept. stayed quiet so they wouldn't give the players grievances airtime.

We're most likely going to pick up a recruit today which is a strange occurence if the coaching staff isn't coming back.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• The whole thing is bizarre... this may sound like double-speak but.. by NOT saying anything they ARE saying something. But to just act like nothing happened.. nothing worth noting.. is just bizarre.

Comment

• Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
                    The whole thing is bizarre... this may sound like double-speak but.. by NOT saying anything they ARE saying something. But to just act like nothing happened.. nothing worth noting.. is just bizarre.
                    You have the option of throwing the former players under the bus. It would be a terrible decision for the department to do that. Therefore silence?
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Well.... you could acknowledge the exodus and say "It's unfortunate that these young men no longer felt that UC was the right spot for them. We will wish them well in their future but now.. our program has a lot of work to do to build a roster". So.. you don't kill them. You don't take responsibility for it.. but.. you AT LEAST .. acknowledge it knowing that your fans are wondering WTF is going on.

Comment

You and Colonel are correct. If the fanbase is wrong and we probably are, how do you salvage the fan's confidence in the Athletic Dept staff and coaches at this point? The only way I think of where that happens is that the players were at fault. So you might have a scenario where the Dept. stayed quiet so they wouldn't give the players grievances airtime.

We're most likely going to pick up a recruit today which is a strange occurrence if the coaching staff isn't coming back.
                        In my opinion (not worth a poo) I would think if this was an orchestrated coup by the athletes; then I would understand the AD not saying anything public provided its not an elitist attitude. But where is the line between suppression and just dealing with day to day basketball/sports wackiness? I am not qualified to answer that in any manner.

But I would think the AD would have released a two liner at least saying we are aware and in discussion about it. Quiet has me siding with the players at this time since I really don't have much else to go on.

And yes, picking up a player is a very odd turn of events.

Comment

Going to to be a bit funny If the fanbase has gone completely off the rails at JB and it's not his fault after all. This is more and more looking like a combination of a mutiny and bad management.
                          Who's the manager?

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Who's the manager?
                            Maybe not the person this thread's about. I can tell you that there was no warning this was coming down at the game on Saturday. Like from from anyone I talked to. I don't think they got blindsided. We were looking for an explanation of Brannen walking off the floor on Sunday. In retrospect he probably knew these guys weren't coming back.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I don't think they got blindsided. We were looking for an explanation of Brannen walking off the floor on Sunday. In retrospect he probably knew these guys weren't coming back.
                              Very interesting but extremely NOT professional. As a coach you rep the school. We have all been in those bad situations without a camera on us and I am sure we wanted to act that way but most likely would not. The eye of the camera really puts a bad spin.

EDIT: Same thought process is why no recruits (baring the information today of the portal pickup)?
                              Last edited by Colonel; 03-18-2021, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• To put into perspective how jarring the last few days have been for fans, here is the title of The Athletic story on Sunday following the Houston loss, “Cincinnati Basketball Ends Season with Blowout Loss to Houston but Plenty of Promise and Young Talent.” Fast forward 72 hours and most of that young nucleus is in the transfer portal. In the post game presser CJB talked about how bright the future is for the program. Was that sincere? Did he really not know these guys were leaving? There is no good explanation here. Beyond that, the athletic department is saying nothing and the reporters covering the team do not have much insight. I agree with the folks on here who suggest a very short statement from the AD that is gracious and pays a nod to reality would be welcome. The continued lack of a response only feeds into our worst fears regarding how competently the men’s basketball program is being managed.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X