This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
    Your exactly right CB2. Many on here were disparaging the coach because in their view he was overwhelmed coming from a lesser conference. The more info that leaks out we find that these recruits are pampered, entitled prima donnas. Somebody' little darling got their feelings hurt because the coach yelled at them and told them that they were not all that and a bag of chips!. I can actually see this as it is but it surprises me with the madsen twins cause I read somewhere that their dad coached bball. He would know that it wouldnt be easy on his two darlings if they want to succeed in DI bball. Could you envision any of these current brats playing for huggs here in the late eighties! Im still on CJB's corner
    The whole truth has not come out and perhaps will not. What I would be hesitant to trust is all these lightly treaded news stories. The writers had to know about the problems for quite a spell, but wrote oh how the future is bright articles. Look, they make their living covering the team and the one constant on the team is CJB. They won't jeopardize their main source for their content just to be a crusading hero. Those days of journalism is long gone as we are reduced to getting stats, game report, a little recruiting news and feel good player stories. If they believe CJB won't be dismissed they are forced to acknowledge the problem, but will no little, if any attempt to clarify. They will go on and say both sides were in the wrong and that is that. At least that is what I see now. Perhaps an outsider might do actual investigative reporting and more importantly writing, but not these guys who are hanging on to their subscription based journals and newspaper jobs which are already in danger economically. The TV and radio guys must not be trusted even as much as the print reporters as they work under UC control. Until then, we will hear, yes there are problems, but gosh darn it don't you understand we have covid and that transfer portal is the root of all evil. Plus, the kids are too pampered and so are their parents. Yes CJB needs some HR training or hire a fall guy (assistant with nurse maid skills) In other words, at least in looney tunes song , on with the show this is it.

Comment

• I couldn't imagine these kids playing for Huggs in the late 80s as he didn't come to 1989. What a great day that was.

"I made a very poor decision that's reflected negatively on the basketball program and the university,
      Bob Huggins

Back then we had a tv station that showed a video. I suspect that they ran it through Nancy Z first and got the green light to post what happened. As my younger friends keep pointing out to me , times have changed. Sadly, people rarely do.
      Last edited by leo from jersey; 03-19-2021, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• I agree with much of what is being said in the previous couple of posts. In today's society it is so easy to just quit rather than work harder, own it, and improve. I would hate to be a coach in today's world. I do feel that Brannen is going to have to learn something from this though. Either adapt your style somewhat or recruit kids who can handle some tough love. I don't know how any of the kids who departed can complain with lack of playing time with the short bench we had. Everyone had an ample chance to play and I think they may be surprised when they spend more time on the bench in another program unless they move down a level.

Comment

• I agree Gmann... If CJB is gonna remain here, he has GOT to do some serious self reflection on what went wrong. If part of the problem was "soft kids", then do a better job vetting that aspect during recruiting. Regardless on how the blame is parceled out, the issues need to be worked out so that it doesn't happen again. I still think it is 100% wrong that CJB hasn't even acknowledged the exodus. I think we fans deserve SOMETHING..

Comment

• UC needs to make a quick decision about Brannen, or we will end up back in the "dark ages" of the Tony Yates era.

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Gmann View Post
              I agree with much of what is being said in the previous couple of posts. In today's society it is so easy to just quit rather than work harder, own it, and improve. I would hate to be a coach in today's world. I do feel that Brannen is going to have to learn something from this though. Either adapt your style somewhat or recruit kids who can handle some tough love. I don't know how any of the kids who departed can complain with lack of playing time with the short bench we had. Everyone had an ample chance to play and I think they may be surprised when they spend more time on the bench in another program unless they move down a level.
              This society has been taught to be tolerant and "Don't judge" is the only scripture most know. Therefore they use lack of playing time as their reason instead of attacking people. That is the way in many cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post
                CJB probably should’ve adapted better to the situation at hand however he’s always been very methodical and set in ways and very analytic based. He’s definitely more business and mission focused than he is a people person. However, the vibe I got from this article make the kids look worse than CJB. Fighting back tears because you weren’t playing? Get better, try harder. Complaining about rules regarding ear rings, hats, and du rags in team meetings? You’ll be fine, I promise. I’m 21 years old so don’t hit me with those “okay boomer” comments either. I just finished up my sports life 3 years ago and we’ve always had rules like this. ****, I’m in a college and I’ve had a professor with a no hats in class rule. Both sides agreed there was no sense of abuse but they were scared to ride an elevator with him? You’re trying to tell me ONE MAN almost ruined your love for the game? .... stop it. No way any one in this freshman class makes it through a summer with Mick. Another personal opinion, I think Mason didn’t have a problem with CJB and would’ve stayed but he also had a good bond with the other freshman and didn’t wanna feel like he was betraying them including his brother by staying. Seems like CJB did the same things he usually does but with covid, losing, and emotional freshman it seems he’s getting thrown under the bus. Respect to CJB for not throwing these guys under the bus back. Found this interesting, the seniors, supposed to be the leaders and the mentors. Usually when guys transfer, you’ll repost on your story or reply to their transfer announcements or like it. Just to wish them luck or show your support with a little caption. Chris Vogt and Keith Williams. Didn’t like or comment on a single one of the transfers posts, they liked Jeremiahs returning tweet immediately though. Seems as if they were tired of their s***. No more mouthy twitter moms. No more butterfly tattoos. We need physical, mentally tough grown men. There’s a reason Houston beat our *****. It’s not because of their style of play. Not because Sampson undoes his tie and throws a fit but because they can walk on to the court and deliver body blows to us for 40 minutes and could go for another 40 if they wanted to. We need blue collar, chips on shoulders, WORKERS. That’s what built Cincinnati basketball. That’s what will REBUILD Cincinnati basketball. Go get another Mika, Mr. consistent, tough guy outta NY. go get another JD, put on for my city thick n thin. Go get another DDJ heart and soul into this game. Starting tomorrow Bryson Spell, unranked. Arizona State doesn’t wanna pull the trigger and offer. Virginia Tech doesn’t wanna pull the trigger an offer? Ight bet I’ll go to Cincinnati and work my ***** off with a chip on my shoulder because I know I’m 10X better than Elon. Go get George Papas cocky *****. Go get Myron Gardner I wanna dunk every single possession on your head. Tari didn’t wanna body down low. Yeah he’ll rebound and he’s athletic but he DOESN’T WANNA BANG. Get me some BANGERS down there. Where’s a Coreonte Deberry @ when you need him. There’s a reason Xavier beats our *****. Tough guys, Naji Marshall, Paul Scruggs, a youngin in Dwon Odom. This is Cincinnati Basketball. We ain’t going no where. Knock this doom and gloom s*** off. Imma ride with CJB. This man can coach, he’s got over a .600 win percentage here in his 2 years and we’re supposed to fire him because a few entitled freshman want to throw a fit? We gonna reload, just need to reload with men and not boys. Those boys gone. Division doesn’t fix s***. Let’s rally around the coaches and young men still here and let’s f****** roll.

END RANT.
                Feeling very much this same way. Expectations should have been put out there by Brannen for these guys, but you know that the rift started from these guys sitting around feeling sorry for them selves and whining to each other and building the divide. Then, they avoid the coach, so he ends up in the dark. Sounds like they are the problem and avoided trying to work on a solution.

Comment

• Off topic but JB has not impressed me in this sense. Vogt was absolutely no different at the end of this year then he was at the start of last year. Absolutely no improvement in play. Diarra ditto. The guy never improved. Adams-Woods..same thing. Bob Huggins might have been one of the greatest coaches of all time in that aspect. You give him any five guys and come back in four months and he turned them into a hooping machine. Mick Cronin never recruited as well as Huggins, but Kilpatrick, Clark, Cumberland all got better under him. Brannen didn't seem to be teaching anyone to me.

Ivanauskas, for example, looked to me like a guy that understood how to play a high post, and pick and roll. I could see that when he got the ball up top, he was looking to make his move to the hole after the pass. I never saw Adams-Woods or DeJulius ever try to run the play with him.

Was not a fan of Brannen moving away from Cini style ball. Thought the last two season with Covid, he did the best he could recruiting. Eason certainly a solid recruit. The complete blow outs against a few teams, some bad losses .... obviously was not at the talent level of Georgia, Tenn., Memphis, Houston.

Given circumstances with Covid (which I'm sure made this a miserable year for bball players...being isolated and all) and the fact he made a run to the title game in the conference, I guess you have to give the guy another season. (And since he is now going to field a completely revamped team next season...you might have to give him two more).

I was a believer that Huggins returned UC to the map and made it a coveted Job. Cronin's consistent NCAA tourney streak at least did not hurt that. Why we handed over the reigns to Brannen rather than getting a big name coach never made sense to me. Granted Brannen's Horizon league accomplishments made him a credible long-shot play, but another top-tier coach capable of recruiting NBA level talent seemed like a better idea. Chris Vogt is just not the level of talent that I've come to expect and honestly, except for Eason, neither was anyone else on the roster.

Comment

• One thing thats not been brought up that Im aware of. Some quotes from these kids was that would wait around the corner to keep from having to ride the elevator with him. JB' s not an idiot dont you think he knew there was mutiny afoot? I dont say its right but busting your butt under unprecedented conditions along with trying to get mutineering players to play together, and still not having ordinary team building ex- periences throughout the entire season( thereby enhancing the feelings of abandonment ) I csn see where he just wanted the season to end and to let the kids know that he knew what their intentions were. I dont see any panic from JB because of these kids leaving. I do see. A group of kids who want to become bearcat ballers forming a great core. Im just imagining what the man can do if he ever gets a break and obtains a normal college bball year. Everyone knows Chris Vogt wasnt the ideal # 5 but you play the hand your dealt and he still beat the conference winner to get to the finals.

Comment

• I think Leo needs to go on the OSU fan sites and demand the Buckeye coach be fired. 🤔
                      ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

• Originally posted by Pharmfam View Post
                        I think Leo needs to go on the OSU fan sites and demand the Buckeye coach be fired. 🤔
                        want some cheese with those sour grapes?
                        Last edited by leo from jersey; 03-19-2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                          One thing thats not been brought up that Im aware of. Some quotes from these kids was that would wait around the corner to keep from having to ride the elevator with him. JB' s not an idiot dont you think he knew there was mutiny afoot? I dont say its right but busting your butt under unprecedented conditions along with trying to get mutineering players to play together, and still not having ordinary team building ex- periences throughout the entire season( thereby enhancing the feelings of abandonment ) I csn see where he just wanted the season to end and to let the kids know that he knew what their intentions were. I dont see any panic from JB because of these kids leaving. I do see. A group of kids who want to become bearcat ballers forming a great core. Im just imagining what the man can do if he ever gets a break and obtains a normal college bball year. Everyone knows Chris Vogt wasnt the ideal # 5 but you play the hand your dealt and he still beat the conference winner to get to the finals.
                          Before I retired I had employees who would have hidden out instead of getting on the elevator with me. They were afraid I'd ask about whatever project I had them working on. Funny thing is, I knew which of them hid out, and which didn't. Turns out, as you'd expect, the best people I had didn't hide, because they always did what they were supposed to do. I pride myself that I never fired anybody, but who do you think got the promotions?

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

want some cheese with those sour grapes?
                            Lighten up Francis. It’s just a little joke.
                            ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

• And just like that Oral Roberts made everyone in Clifton happy
                              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• once your remark was answered you say you were joking. I don't think you are used to being answered. I did make a mistake though, instead of cheese with the sour grapes it was scour grape kool aid you were drinking. Now start acting civil;
                                Last edited by leo from jersey; 03-19-2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X