Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get it, but everyone deserves a second chance....And what happened to Buford was off the court like Corie Blount.... Does not affect their ability to coach... Since they both have records, I'm sure neither would be a consideration.... As far as a downgrade or lowering our standards, this is the WORSE Coaching Staff we've had since Prior to Huggins... I would take any of those Bearcats over any Assistant Coach we have now...

For what it's worth, everyone deserves a second chance, even though it's most likely a disqualifier at UC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gmann View Post
      I too would like to see former Bearcats on the coaching staff but I really don't want to turn the head coaching position over to anyone who hasn't at least had some experience and success at the mid-major level like Huggs, Cronin and even Brannen did. We can't afford 2-3 years of growing pains or worse. All these coaches are going to stump for their assistants but they should be encouraging them to go off and get some experience on a smaller stage first. Another route is the known former NBA guy (Howard, Hardaway etc.) with a reputation and connections to get high level talent not a fringe guy.

I believe I agree with Gmann, we tasted what a lack of coaching experience has given us we went from being the team to beat, the benchmark of the AAC to being blown out by a team whose coach knew what it would take to beat that bench mark and accomplished it in just a few years. We need a coach who knows how to build a team as quickly as possible on order to put the claw back on the college bball scene.
      Last edited by Rufus; 04-01-2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
        I went to watch them play in The Smith League.
        I actually googled this because I hadn't heard of it. Is this what the old Deveroe's league is called now?

Comment

• Originally posted by BearKatz View Post

I wish I could but I can't reveal my source..... I am hoping we have a decision sometime today or tomorrow..
          Fwiw, my PM's are open. To you and Lobot. I'm dying for news, guys. I swear I'll be quiet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gmann View Post
            I too would like to see former Bearcats on the coaching staff but I really don't want to turn the head coaching position over to anyone who hasn't at least had some experience and success at the mid-major level like Huggs, Cronin and even Brannen did. We can't afford 2-3 years of growing pains or worse. All these coaches are going to stump for their assistants but they should be encouraging them to go off and get some experience on a smaller stage first. Another route is the known former NBA guy (Howard, Hardaway etc.) with a reputation and connections to get high level talent not a fringe guy.
            My fear is that UC is seen as "a smaller stage" at this point. We aren't of course, but in other's perception...

30 years since FF. 60 years since winning it all. Play in the rinky dink AAC. In 50's and 60's the big conferences only mattered much for football. Now, we are a mid major trying to get into a P5 conference to which we truly deserve. We won't be in the running for the Chris Beards (Texas Tech to Texas) or whoever is in the running to replace Roy at UNC
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Everything old is getting new again. Houston and Loyola are back, time for a return to Bearcat greatness. This is John Cunningham's first real chance to put a mark on the program. Hope he hits it out of the park.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post

I believe I agree with Gmann, we tasted what a lack of coaching experience has given us we went from being the team to beat, the benchmark of the AAC to being blown out by a team whose coach knew what it would take to beat that bench mark and accomplished it in a few yew years. We need a coach who knows how to build a team as quickly as possible on order to put the claw back on the college bball scene.
                I'm not sure Brannen's success at NKU in the Horizon League is any less than Huggs at Akron or Cronin at Murray.

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post

I'm not sure Brannen's success at NKU in the Horizon League is any less than Huggs at Akron or Cronin at Murray.
                  The difference is Higgs and Mick rebuilt dumpster fires into powerhouse programs; Brannen has turned a purring power into a dumpster fire.

Comment

Not saying it is coach, but how many times have we seen it posted in this forum that JB was overwhelmed in this league having come from the horizon and just three years at D1, especially when we were losing. My point being that we can't can't take a chance on someone that is at the same stage of their career. We need someone who has both recruiting chops and coaching chops to at least maintain our feeble stature as it sits now but quickly get turned around to back where we were.

Comment

• Here is a question. What about bringing in Rick Pitino for about 4 or 5 years with the understanding that he would groom a successor to take over the basketball program long-term? A lot of fans may not like this pick. However, Pitino is a winner. Also, it would not take him a long time to get Cincinnati back to being nationally relevant. Additionally, Pitino is a Hall of Fame coach who can bring the recruits in immediately. He has NBA experience, which is a huge selling point to recruits, and he has won multiple NCAA basketball championships. It is true that Pitino comes with baggage, so damn what! The man can coach. Rick Pitino is going to end up back at a relevant program. Maybe UC can get him before some other program does. Just a thought.

Comment

• Never gonna happen... IF they send Brannen packing for some "real issue".. how can you then bring in a coach that has MAJOR MAJOR issues ? You can't.

Comment

Not saying it is coach, but how many times have we seen it posted in this forum that JB was overwhelmed in this league having come from the horizon and just three years at D1, especially when we were losing. My point being that we can't can't take a chance on someone that is at the same stage of their career. We need someone who has both recruiting chops and coaching chops to at least maintain our feeble stature as it sits now but quickly get turned around to back where we were.
                          And what are you going to pay them with?

Comment

• Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
                            Never gonna happen... IF they send Brannen packing for some "real issue".. how can you then bring in a coach that has MAJOR MAJOR issues ? You can't.
                            Not to mention his buyout at Iona is massive. I heard it’s about $10M. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Comment

And what are you going to pay them with?
                              I know there is the problem. We will have to settle for a coach that we can afford and hope that he will turn into a Huggins. Enjoy him until the elitists comes with their bags of cash.

Comment

We sell how well this worked for us when we brought in Tommy Tubberville in football!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X