No announcement yet.

Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone see that the 2017 conference tournament is headed back to the XL Center?

I may be reading too much in to it, but how did Cincinnati get passed up again? Do they know we will be on our way out?

Maybe it is our facilities, but the XL center anything special. I went to the UC game at UConn this year. The XL center is basically a bigger US Bank arena and there are few bars and restaurants around the arena.
    Last edited by cinmike; 02-21-2016, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• I did see this the other day. I still haven't seen a reason why they are not sticking with Orlando again as originally planned. I'm guessing tickets sales for this year are bad or there was a scheduling problem with the Orlando Magic.

As far as getting passed up, you better believe it. We will never host this tournament as long as we have one foot out the door. I'm sure the condition of US Bank doesn't help either. I suspect sending the tournament back to Hartford is at least somewhat rooted in trying to keep UConn appeased in hopes that they will stay in the league.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I don't think they are trying to appease UConn because they know that if them, us or anyone is offered an invite to the Big12 then they are gone no matter what the AAC does. The AAC can't compete with anything the Big12 could offer. If they were locating the tourney somewhere to appease then they would definitely put it in Cincy since it sounds like we are at the top of the list to leave.

I think we are so hungry for news on expansion, especially good news, that we are reading into things that probably don't mean anything. Last week when the Enquirer started their open records request, alot of people were concerned that would kill our chances. I didn't think so because I don't think the Big12 cares what the Enquirer writes. It is about facilities, market, competitiveness and the ability to increase the Big12 brand that they are concerned about.

Comment

• Now we know the names of the Big 12 consultants. Toward the bottom.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writ...ce-realignment
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Analyzin expansion candidates. Poll at the end. UC currently 2nd.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...-florida-state

Comment

• I believe Cincinnati is 11. I think the reason for the firms doing doing the research is to pick between BYU and UCONN. Who will bring the most tv's with them.

Comment

• I have a hard time believing byu is going to be a p5 selection soon. Bronco Mendenhall leaving there is very revealing.

Comment

• BYU wants to remain independent and that's one of the reasons why Mendenhall left. He didn't think it was sustainable for them to do that.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Article from last night via DMN : http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...b35bcdd07e2542
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Well this interesting .. http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writ...joining-big-12
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        Interesting that she gave her analysis for free..

Also, is it new that the money isn't there to keep existing teams at current payouts? I think any new team would have a significant tiered payout, and the money will be changing upward I the next decade.

Any other thoughts on this analysis?
                        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• There's a difference of opinion on the payouts depending on who's reporting it I've noticed. Dodd seems to be firmly in the payouts are not the same camp. The haircut the K St. pres mentioned is not without precedent. WVU is currently taking less than rest of the schools according to once source I saw earlier. The difference between the AAC payout and the Big 12 haircut number is still very substantial on and worth the move if the invite comes.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Dodd has consistently maintained that the Big 12 will not expand. I don't know who his sources are but I hope he's wrong

Comment

• Maybe there's no way to determine this, but in the past in situations regarding conference expansions, which reporting/analysis proved to be more accurate, locals (such as DMN) or nationals (CBS, etc.)? I'm sure virtually no one gets it all right, but who would be considered more reliable, if anyone?

Comment

• Previous changes have been much more stealth as there were not "short handed" conferences. I'm pretty sure Dodd is actually a reporter whose roots are in Texas. The confusing thing in all of this is some parties in the b12 claim that there is no "haircut" for getting back to 12 as far as tv revenues are concerned. Others do not seem to acknowledge this. I assume those in the Texas camp may be extrapolating adding teams as meaning they will lose longhorn network revenues which is likely the crux of the matter. However, what seems to be floating out there is the added pro rata revenues for new members would be slashed to give to Texas to make up for the loss.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X