Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
    Maybe there's no way to determine this, but in the past in situations regarding conference expansions, which reporting/analysis proved to be more accurate, locals (such as DMN) or nationals (CBS, etc.)? I'm sure virtually no one gets it all right, but who would be considered more reliable, if anyone?
    Since the Big 12 offices are in Dallas and I'm local I tend to trust Chuck Carlton at the Dallas Morning News and Kirk Bohls with Austin Statesman as far as regional reporters go. For OK angle I'd go with Barry Tramel at the Oklahoman (newsok.com). Because these guys have to vet and check sources like good journalists, they tend to be a little behind the twitter rumor mill as far as speed to report on the news websites but they do have better sources generally in the long run and are able to confirm or kill internet rumors with the right people. In the blogging crowd I'd go with David Ubben who used to do the Big 12 writing and TV for FOX SW. He's now blogging at http://sportsspotlight.com/ and http://sportsonearth.com although he's taking a more national turn now that he's been let go from FOX. One thing I'd note is that they have to keep their relationships intact with the big guns in the Big 12 so you get a lot of presser material parroting and not so much critique of league and school actions. They're all good follows on Twitter as well as in their columns and articles. Carlton will jump on Dallasnews.com and do a live chat from time to time if you like that format.

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• The News Record with a scoop and perspectives:

http://www.newsrecord.org/sports/lac...02b4b3170.html

Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• This is an interesting piece of data (if true) that the contracts are already in place to increase ESPN and Fox payouts for schools 11 and 12 if/when the Big 12 expands. We can look at this as a glass half full or a glass half empty situation. The current Big 12 teams want more money and can get quite a bit by giving the new schools a partial payout, and gradually increasing that to full payout over time. Or it could be a way for OU to force the networks to end the current contracts (the networks are already losing monies) and clear the path for them to move to the B!G or SEC....

http://csnbbs.com/thread-772510-page-2.html
        Attackcoog
        Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
        RE: CBS: Industry sources say Big 12 expansion unlikely As is commonly the case, people on this board are often more familiar with the details of an expansion situation than a random "industry expert". The reality is that the current Big12 media agreement already signed by ESPN and Fox has a clause that guarantees that the pro rata media shares of the current members stays the same when the Big12 adds #11 and #12. That was already Revealed by Oklahoma and confirmed by the B12 commissioner.

Doesn't matter if the networks are currently flush with cash or not. Doesn't matter if the G5 additions are seen as being worth 20 million each by industry experts. A contract has already been signed by both networks agreeing to pay that much for #11 and #12.

Yes, CFP money, NCAA units, and bowl income would be reduced to current members if new schools were added. However, that can be fixed by giving the newbies a partial share that grows over time as the new B12 network income grows. So, it both start at 10 million each (5X what either Cinci or UConn make now), and the Big 12 keeps the remaining extra 20 million, then no current member earns less, and the new members get a relative windfall.

Comment

• From what has been speculated, the added revenue would be needed to plug Texas and the loss of the LHN.

Comment

• If I had to bet, my money would be on no expansion. Speaking of money, that is how the decision would be made. Even if the media payout for adding #11 and #12 were to be the same, and even if the payouts to the newcomers would be reduced, there would be a temporary reduction in income for the existing members. Other than WVU and Oklahoma, I can't think of a good reason for them to do this. Much as we all would like to be out of the "Amateur Athletic Conference".

Comment

• There is an option to gradually phase in the money for any incoming school. We could join and take less than a full share until the TV deal is redone to help offset any lost monies that other schools would incur. This is the option that was mentioned by the K-State pres. at the Big 12 meetings in Feb. This is a win win for everyone because the other schools don't lose anything and we still gain a significant amount of cash flow over what the AAC pays out. Personally I think pushing this type of deal is probably what we should attempt to negotiate at this point. Adding members makes a CCG more attractive and adds about 20 million, if memory serves, to the collective pot to be split among members.

But yes I suspect they will vote against it if this option is not agreeable to current schools. If they vote for it, we're a definite selection based on what I've seen.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...things-to-know

The only thing relatively new is Bowlsby didn't openly deny expansion talks..."€œI don't want to get out in front and say we're thinking about expansion,” Bowlsby said, “[but] everybody knows we're thinking about that stuff.€"

Comment

• AAC weighs in: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...310-story.html

Comment

• Apparently Denns Dodd at CBS found a banner at the Big 12 tourney featuring pictures of 11 members and the 11th member has a missing face indicating that they will reveal #11 shortly.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                      Apparently Denns Dodd at CBS found a banner at the Big 12 tourney featuring pictures of 11 members and the 11th member has a missing face indicating that they will reveal #11 shortly.
                      Who made or was holding the banner? Was it an official banner of the Big 12? Anyone can make a banner and display it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        Apparently Denns Dodd at CBS found a banner at the Big 12 tourney featuring pictures of 11 members and the 11th member has a missing face indicating that they will reveal #11 shortly.
                        He looks encouragingly short and pale! https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdNwSVmW0AAGVNO.jpg

Also, love Huggins with no tie...or legs!

Seriously though- I think this banner is just for fan photos, not foreshadowing.
                        Last edited by Big Herm; 03-11-2016, 10:01 AM.
                        McMicken College of Arts & Sciences 1999

Comment

• From the Facebook group:

A Dallas news source discusses Cincinnati and how UC wants to join the Big 12.

They have a poll, get out there and vote for UC. Show them we have a huge fan base here that wants to be part of the Big 12.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...-12-trying-get

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                            They have a poll, get out there and vote for UC. Show them we have a huge fan base here that wants to be part of the Big 12.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...-12-trying-get
                            Just voted. UC is 4th after Memphis, Boise State, and BYU. I'm surprised UConn & Houston are not higher.

Comment

• I'm voting UC and Fla State as my second team so I don't skew the votes. Being a Dallas poll, I'm not surprised BYU/Boise are doing well (and probably voting for each other). The folks in Dallas DO NOT like Houston. I am surprised Memphis is doing so well, though I have to admit they are a really good fit with the Big 12. I am personally rooting for Memphis to be the second team along with UC, but understand ESPN (i.e. TV) will make UConn tough for the Big 12 to pass up.

Comment

• It also looks like the poll doesn't remember your IP address; this means if you hit refresh you can vote again and again and again as long as you like or have time to do so.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X