Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cspeed View Post
    Hopefully Oklahoma gets their way and we get invited to the Big XII but rumors are that OK is interested in going elsewhere ( Big 10 ) with Kansas.
    This raises a question.... If OK and KU go to big 10, does UC go to BIGXII on first invite or do they hold tight and wait for the BIG XII to empload and let the American poach the other top schools from the BIG XII and be the first to 16 ? A conference with what we have and the addition of, lets just say WV, Baylor, TCU, and Texas Tech.
    That would replicate the old SW and current Big 12 with a heavy Texas base as SU and Houston are already in conference. If OU and KU go to the B!G, then I think we have to accept offers to join the existing Big 12. As much as I'd hate to join UT-Austin, it's still the best option in terms of money, exposure, and a path to the Playoff. The AAC can't compete with that. Besides, if the Big 12 completely implodes, it will be picked apart by the other four big conferences.

Originally posted by coach View Post
    I'll tell you i've never been a fan of oklahoma, but i recall their fans who were are paul brown a few years back were all very good folks. That said, Boren and OU are at this point our best friends as they are likely to either get more teams into the P5, or blow up the big12 and likely make the AAC a better league with a p5 shot. It's nice to see their is someone in the b12 who has ideas to build something rather than just cash checks.
    I never much cared for Barry Switzer and rooted for Miami and others against the Sooners in the 80's; however, that was one of my many young man's foolish mistakes. After the visit to Norman, I'm completely impressed with their fan base, their sportsmanship, legacy, and overall program. I'd say jump at any chance to be in the same conference with OU, they are a class act!
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...ctional-big-12

This article doesn't seem too impressed with BYU, UC or anyone else as expansion candidates but I do like the idea of Clemson and Florida State to the Big 12 because then the ACC would need 2 teams and us and UCONN would be perfect fits. I would rather be in the ACC then the Big 12 anyway. But would this happen? Doesn't the ACC have a "grant of rights" deal that stops anyone from leaving? Or maybe that wouldn't stand up in court?

Comment

I posted this to Twitter yesterday. It seem like every time expansion comes up we end up at the AAU table. http://newsok.com/article/5473247
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          I posted this to Twitter yesterday. It seem like every time expansion comes up we end up at the AAU table. http://newsok.com/article/5473247
          We are Carnegie I. I also seem to recall we have been working toward AAU status. Does anyone have any idea what else needs to be done for UC to achieve AAU status?
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I think the only conference that cares about aau is the big 10 and so that really is pretty irrelevant. Heck, most of b12 isn't even Carnegie. Given the factors behind realignment, we will not be held out because of academics. We're already better than quite a few p5 institutions.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
              I think the only conference that cares about aau is the big 10 and so that really is pretty irrelevant. Heck, most of b12 isn't even Carnegie. G iven the factors behind realignment, we will not be held out because of academics. We're already better than quite a few p5 institutions.
              Yep agree 100%. Still amazes me that the perception still persists out there that UC is just a little commuter school.........even here in Cincinnati that perception still exists. I think some in the local media intentionally perpetuate that image while liberal arts schools like XU and Miami get accolades.

Comment

Left field stuff here from a Detroit site. Interesting read but mostly fantasy moves. http://detroitsportsnation.com/lists...e-sense/57614/
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Gee says expansion likely.

Comment

With the sec network reporting today they grossed 572mm of revenue in yr 1 it's pretty easy to understand a guy like Boren's argument. If you're a big brand like OU, you're missing out on a lot of money with this conference network affiliation. Texas isn't worried since espn gave them a sweetheart deal. They will be concerned when it runs out, but i'm not sure of that date. Otherwise espn is giving them their bounty. The question is how do they monetize it and how long will it take. Boren knows he needs more tv sets and a broader map to even get started. He's doing his best to drag it along. Something likely to happen, the question is what.

Comment

• The contract for LHN runs out in 2031 if I remember correctly. I highly suspect ESPN will pull the plug before then, possibly soon. It's hemorrhaging money
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Texas is like a bratty child insisting on getting their way or else. Let's hope Boren and Dr Gee are able to convince them that it's in their best long term interest to change now.
                        Money is what's driving this, and I'm sure Texas probably feels they are better served financially to stand pat until the GOR expires.

Comment

• I agree. Texas is the kid who thinks they're better than you when they really aren't and takes the ball and goes home. And the ball doesn't even totally belong to them. It's a community ball.

After living down here for a decade, I can tell you that this is a state wide phenomenon. Sometimes I think the only thing keeping this state from actually going crazy town and seceding from the union again is the influx of transplants due to the favorable jobs environment. Anyway. I don't want to go off on Texas politics in here. Needless to say the corruption level is extremely high.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• You can't blame Texas as they are the ones who got the deal. Nobody was forcing espn to pay them.

Comment

• No I can't blame them. But I can call them narcissists.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Seems like the overwhelming consenxus among realignment pundits is that their is an internal disagreement on whether to expand but it is likely that they will. The decision was about not expanding earlier this month was mostly about the Big 12 brass not wanting to be forced into it. Now they've got that out of the way, they can take a internal vote on Feb. 5 on whether to do it on their own. Soooo here we go again. Time to wait.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X