Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    Seems like the overwhelming consensus among realignment pundits is that their is an internal disagreement on whether to expand but it is likely that they will. The decision was about not expanding earlier this month was mostly about the Big 12 brass not wanting to be forced into it. Now they've got that out of the way, they can take a internal vote on Feb. 5 on whether to do it on their own. Soooo here we go again. Time to wait.
    that's interesting. in the back of my mind i wondered if the B12 was more concerned about saving face than actual deregulation. I asked earlier in this forum what the compromise was with the curiosity (and hope) that maybe the compromise was to allow deregulation and, in turn, the B12 will later expand, appearing to do it on their own terms - not getting bullied by he other conferences. very wishful thinking, i know, but gotta stay optimistic no matter how crazy. that said, i can't get excited about UC and expansion until i see Pres Ono at B12 offices for a press conference. i remember talking about this af PBS during football games. this is been dragging on for a LONG time

Comment

• Okay, so we wait until Feb 5th to see if the Big 12 can convince Texas to expand and dissolve the LHN. We won't get many answers Feb 5th...here are a few questions:

1. Does the vote to expand take a simple majority, two-thirds, or unanimous?
      2. The league can't dissolve the LHN. Does the league have any influence with ESPN to drop LHN without Texas' consent, and then form Big 12 network?
      3. Will the network issue be resolved before the vote? Could the vote be expand (no LHN) or to dissolve (No league network)?

Even in a perfect world where the LHN ceases to exist, a Big 12 Network is launched for this Fall as replacement, and the Big 12 votes to expand...UC will have to await an invitation, which might not come our way. I suspect by mid-March we will know if there is even hope of getting into different conference.

Either way, this fan will support and love UC athletics for life! No harm in wishing the best for our programs.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• My hunch right now is Texas will be its' usually insular self and only look out for Texas. I thought maybe there was some progress in that area and I was wrong. So that probably means the league and Texas will go separate ways and the league will expand with 3 teams.

So my answers to your question are at this point:

1) Not sure. Will look when I get a chance
        2) Yes but it's unlikely to happen that way
        3) Doubtful. I don't think those are the only two options. I think expanding without Texas is the 3rd option and would be the best solution.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Eight votes necessary to approve adding teams to Big 12
          Knowing full well that Big 12 expansion is the topic du jour, league commissioner Bob Bowlsby is bracing for some frank discussions at the upcoming athletic directors and presidents meetings in February. Bowlsby said eight of 10 league members must approve adding any new teams.

Comment

• I seriously doubt the Big12 will drop Texas unless they are planning to leave for another conference anyway. Texas has the biggest fan base no matter how annoying they might be. This is all wishful thinking but I hope it comes true... They could add UC, UConn, and Memphis/BYU... (I'd hope for Memphis so we would have two games within travel distance WVU & Memphis)

Comment

• I think Texas will ride this gravy train until they can't (i.e. whenever the GOR expires). At that point they will have to swallow hard and accept that their position of power has been diminished. But that doesn't matter to the people currently in charge at Texas, because they know they will be long gone by then.

Comment

• Sorry if this had been posted...nothing new, but another take on the situation ....

Comment

• Do we think they have the 8 to expand? Texas may leave or stay, I think they only go to 12 teams either way.

OU, WVU, KU, KSU, TT, and possibly OSU are the ones I'm thinking will vote for expansion. Iowa State and Texas will vote against. Any ideas on the ones listed or TCU & Baylor?
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                    Do we think they have the 8 to expand? Texas may leave or stay, I think they only go to 12 teams either way.

OU, WVU, KU, KSU, TT, and possibly OSU are the ones I'm thinking will vote for expansion. Iowa State and Texas will vote against. Any ideas on the ones listed or TCU & Baylor?
                    TCU will vote against. Chris Del Conte the AD has pretty much said they like it at 10 teams. Baylor wants to expand.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS 24h24 hours ago My one takeaway from Bowlsby today. Doing nothing is not really an option, as "the delta" between Big 12, others is growing. That means $$$.

======
                      Davis covers Texas for the Austin American-Statesman

Comment

• OU president David Boren says a Big 12 network would elevate the entire league and could still make Texas whole.

Comment

• Let's keep our fingers crossed that Boren works some back room magic at the upcoming meetings and gets 8 ADs on board. I don't get why Baylor's AD would be against expansion, as they are one of the programs that gets left out in the cold should one or two teams end up leaving the Big 12 for greener pastures.

Comment

• As UConn finds itself without a full-time athletic director, it also finds itself engaged in an under-the-radar battle for a spot in the Big 12 conference if an opening develops when league presidents meet next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judion View Post
                              Let's keep our fingers crossed that Boren works some back room magic at the upcoming meetings and gets 8 ADs on board. I don't get why Baylor's AD would be against expansion, as they are one of the programs that gets left out in the cold should one or two teams end up leaving the Big 12 for greener pastures.
                              At the risk of almost bringing up Texas politics again, Baylor is conservative by nature. For those who didn't know, its' president is Ken Starr. That's Clinton presidential era special prosecutor Ken Starr who was in charge of the Whitewater investigation.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• The upcoming Big 12 meetings could set the course for the future of the Big 12 -- and pit two founding members against one another.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X