USC and UCLA to leave the PAC 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    Per Saturday Down South (which is a legit source) , the SEC presidents have opted to stay at 16 teams.
    As opposed to what? I doubt any teams except Baylor and OSU were worthy of consideration with the ironcald ACC GoR. So the Big Ten will have two more teams, but also all of the scheduling headaches of two more teams. Unless the CFP requires 9 conference games to be considered, the SEC is likely to get their top four into an expanded playoff. The only reason for the SEC to expand is to bring in someone to lose to Bama, Georgia, Florida, and A&M
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Yeah it’s pretty likely this a PR thing by the SEC but that ACC GoR is only as good as ESPN wants it to be. It’s good bet this a signal that ESPN can’t afford to void the contract.

You know they want to move FSU and Clemson to the SEC, it’s a matter of when I think. It’s rare when another school outside of the U or VT makes noise in that conference. Makes you wonder what happens to rest of them.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Article actually pushing the "expansion" teams as a strength for the Big 12.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.c...he-new-big-12/

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          Really good thread here from our old friend Andrea Adelson on the GoR situation with the ACC. I’m assuming this will eventually be a column on ESPN.com

https://twitter.com/aadelsonespn/sta...hFO8ICDWO9XHuw
          Here's the article and video I was waiting for.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...chaos-followed
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• ^ Interesting that the talking heads believe that Notre Dame and Clemson are the only two left to complete the power 2. No other teams matter. Ouch to teams such as the U, FSU, Washington, Oregon.

Comment

• The silence this week is deafening. Just a bunch of media outlets writing the same stuff for clicks. I really thought things would move fast but seems like the PAC schools are really examining all of their options and will take their time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                The silence this week is deafening. Just a bunch of media outlets writing the same stuff for clicks. I really thought things would move fast but seems like the PAC schools are really examining all of their options and will take their time.
                Or the reports that AZ, ASU, CU, and UT applied were misinterpretted as exploring options. The report that the Pac12 engaged Big 12 in merger talks and requested the Big 12 drop BYU and UCF is plausible, but also suspect.

My prediction is we really won't get much info until first week in August. If reports that the Pac12 are exploring and negotiating tv rights for a month are true, then when they see the loss of revenue we will start to see cracks in their unified approach.

Comment

• Is there a good source that summarizes the current media deals for all the conferences?

Comment

• Originally posted by Illuminerdski View Post
                    Is there a good source that summarizes the current media deals for all the conferences?
                    This is one of the better summaries I've seen and is fairly recent.

https://theosceola.com/following-the...ence-shake-up/

Comment

• It does appear that ESPN may have some input.... "ESPN may decide to make a shrewd offer to the Pac-12, knowing that it if it’s rejected, the conference is likely to fall apart and have a handful of members end up with the Big 12."

ESPN may decide the fate of the Pac-12 (msn.com)

Comment

• Yormark remarks at Big 12 media days indicate that nothing is imminent. This may take a while to play out.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Yet Gundy who always has a way to speak his mind, says they will expand eventually. (Yes, it may take a while.) 2022 Big 12 Media Days schedule, takeaways: Officials push unified front, Mike Gundy candid about expansion - CBSSports.com

Comment

• Here is another talking head pushing a merger to make the Big-PAC 22. Big 12 has to be honest with itself about a Pac 12 merger (usatoday.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                              Here is another talking head pushing a merger to make the Big-PAC 22. Big 12 has to be honest with itself about a Pac 12 merger (usatoday.com)
                              A merger was proposed and quickly rejected by the Pac 12 last year. The Big 12 can go toe to toe with Pac 10, top to bottom with Kansas getting slight edge over Arizona. Baylor and Ok St may be a slight nitch below Washington and Oregon, but mostly reputation instead of actual game play. The "best guess" for tv contracts is 30 million per Pac 10 school and around 50 million each year per Big 12 school. The Big 12 can wait to pick off top 4-6 Pac 10 teams, then wait for ACC to implode to get eastern leftovers. By leftovers, I am talking schools that have had a good of on field success, just not consistently. Imagine a Big 24 like this:
                              Ok St, Baylor, TT, TCU. K St, Kansas, ISU. WVU, BYU, UC, UCF, UH
                              plus
                              Utah, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Cal, Stanford, Pitt, Ga Tech, Va Tech, Pitt, Loserville, NC St, and Wake

Sorry, not sorry, I don’t tgink ASU and AZ bring in much. Most of the Phoenix market is transplants watching schools from all over the country. Phoenix is not a college town

Comment

• ^^I agree with you. I do not think that half of the PAC 12 brings any value at all. There is no revenue from half of the teams. I had earlier reported that the projected value of the PAC was around $30 m per team where the Big 12 would be around $50 M per team. I do think that the Big 12 can set themselves up as the 3rd power conference which will be well behind the new power 2 conference. If the Big 12 is creative, they can eliminate one of the power 5 conferences and weaken the 4th.

However, I still believe that around 2030, the Power 2 will cut ties with the weak and add more power. The Vandy, Illinois, Boston College and about 10 more will be cut from the power 2.
                                Last edited by bearcatbret; 07-16-2022, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X