This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
    I do not believe this for a minute..... The season ticket holder right next to me, this evening said that the SEC is courting UC. That the SEC wants to get into Ohio and go head-to-head with tosu. I told him that it was my belief that the ACC or the SEC should have chased UC before to get into the hot bed of recruiting in Ohio but they did not so we are in the Big 12. He said that the SEC know Ohio and wants to get into Ohio. I said that since the Big 12 media deal is done, UC cannot leave. He said that there is never a never. Again, I do not believe this but I wanted to throw it out there in case any of you have heard anything similar. In my opinion, UC is better off in the Big 12 for competition. Would you take the SEC for the money?
    I agree - I don't believe this for a minute, even though I always thought it made sense. Good TV market size, gets a foothold in recruiting rich area. However, I can't imagine those deep south teams would want to come to Cincinnati in November or December (as I watch the snow flying this morning). And Kentucky enjoys being the team currently that can heavily recruit OH. Would I take SEC for the money? **** yes! We did with the Big 12 right? But I would take the SEC (and their $$$) for all the other sports - would be great for baseball, golf, soccer - could add softball. Some can dream, but I believe that's all this is.

Comment

I do not believe this for a minute..... The season ticket holder right next to me, this evening said that the SEC is courting UC. That the SEC wants to get into Ohio and go head-to-head with tosu. I told him that it was my belief that the ACC or the SEC should have chased UC before to get into the hot bed of recruiting in Ohio but they did not so we are in the Big 12. He said that the SEC know Ohio and wants to get into Ohio. I said that since the Big 12 media deal is done, UC cannot leave. He said that there is never a never. Again, I do not believe this but I wanted to throw it out there in case any of you have heard anything similar. In my opinion, UC is better off in the Big 12 for competition. Would you take the SEC for the money?
      I have always thought we made best sense for SEC, and could not put any stock in this rumor. The SEC has enough middling and bottom schools. They have several top schools and want more top schools. If/when the ACC breaks up, expect SEC to offer only two of these three: Clemson, FSU, or Miami. UC will not sniff an SEC invite unless there is a true movement to go to two power conferences with 32 teams each. In that scenario, we could get either Big Ten or SEC invite. I gotta believe UC would make a top 64.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I have always thought we made best sense for SEC, and could not put any stock in this rumor. The SEC has enough middling and bottom schools. They have several top schools and want more top schools. If/when the ACC breaks up, expect SEC to offer only two of these three: Clemson, FSU, or Miami. UC will not sniff an SEC invite unless there is a true movement to go to two power conferences with 32 teams each. In that scenario, we could get either Big Ten or SEC invite. I gotta believe UC would make a top 64.
        I am not so sure that UC would make the cut in the two-power conference scenario. I say this because I do not think that the Big 10 or the SEC cut any of their current members. So, there are already 32 spots accounted for. Add ND which makes 33 spots. Drop 4 teams from the ACC and you are up to 43 positions taken. Drop 3 teams from the PAC 10 so now we are at 50. Drop 3 from the Big 12 and you are at 59 teams. That means that UC would have to beat out one of the four ACC teams, one of the three PAC 10 teams, and one of the three Big 12 teams. You basically have 10 members from the ACC, Big 12, Pac 10 trying to get those remaining 5 seats at the table.

Comment

I am not so sure that UC would make the cut in the two-power conference scenario. I say this because I do not think that the Big 10 or the SEC cut any of their current members. So, there are already 32 spots accounted for. Add ND which makes 33 spots. Drop 4 teams from the ACC and you are up to 43 positions taken. Drop 3 teams from the PAC 10 so now we are at 50. Drop 3 from the Big 12 and you are at 59 teams. That means that UC would have to beat out one of the four ACC teams, one of the three PAC 10 teams, and one of the three Big 12 teams. You basically have 10 members from the ACC, Big 12, Pac 10 trying to get those remaining 5 seats at the table.
          Sad but probably very true. We still don't garner the respect we deserve as a program. Maybe after a couple of years of success in the B12.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post

Sad but probably very true. We still don't garner the respect we deserve as a program. Maybe after a couple of years of success in the B12.
            I do not believe that anything will happen until we get closer to the ACC TV negotiations. I wonder when (if) college football goes to two conferences (the NFL model), Fox and ESPN sit on the sidelines and pick the teams, similar to a playground game. lol. If so, it will be TV markets plus winning teams. That is the only way that the bottom feeders from the Big 10 and SEC get dropped.

Comment

Something that has gotten lost recently is that the California regents meet tomorrow to decide whether or not to block UCLA's departure to the Big 10. UC regents alter agenda and may vote Thursday on blocking UCLA's move to the Big Ten (msn.com)

Comment

Something that has gotten lost recently is that the California regents meet tomorrow to decide whether or not to block UCLA's departure to the Big 10. UC regents alter agenda and may vote Thursday on blocking UCLA's move to the Big Ten (msn.com)
                This is only happening because the Cal Regents and the Governor are mad they didn't get consulted on the conference change. I don't think the Regents actually have a say in this. Some heads might roll at UCLA but it's not getting blocked.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Per McMurphy Twitter

”Big 12 commish Brett Yormark & Gonzaga AD Chris Standiford met earlier today in Austin, Texas, & there is “growing mutual interest” regarding Gonzaga joining the Big 12, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. Gonzaga played at UT in men’s basketball Wednesday night”
                  Fire Scott Satterfield

Comment

This is interesting and makes some sense so, it will never happen. It has 4 mega conferences with three tiers each. Only Tier 1 can play for a national championship (currently, UC is in tier 1). However, you can move up or down in the tiers based on your performance. There are 5 slides to the article so you will need to hit next or previous to see the other slides. All conferences are based on geography and brings back historical rivalries. College Football: The 4 Super-Leagues fans deserve (fansided.com)

Comment

This is interesting and makes some sense so, it will never happen. It has 4 mega conferences with three tiers each. Only Tier 1 can play for a national championship (currently, UC is in tier 1). However, you can move up or down in the tiers based on your performance. There are 5 slides to the article so you will need to hit next or previous to see the other slides. All conferences are based on geography and brings back historical rivalries. College Football: The 4 Super-Leagues fans deserve (fansided.com)
                      The only question is whether it works on TV.
                      Fire Scott Satterfield

Comment

California Regents to meet on Dec. 14 to decide..... I doubt if they have the authority. College football expansion: Date set for UCLA, Big Ten decision (msn.com)

Comment

Well, here's a curveball. The ASUN and WAC are creating a football only conference and all members will be jumping to FBS.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...bs-sources-say
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                            Well, here's a curveball. The ASUN and WAC are creating a football only conference and all members will be jumping to FBS.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...bs-sources-say
                            This could be the new 10th FBS conference when Pac10 collapses. This will be a great landing spot for the likes of Ore St, Wash St, Cal, ASU, AZ, CU.

We want Washington, Oregon, Utah, and Stanford in the Big 12, unless CU does something magical and Deion is coach for longer than 2 years, both of which I doubt.
                            Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 12-09-2022, 11:44 AM. Reason: Misspelled Stnaford, corrected in post
                            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

The following is a synthesis of a few twitter feeds involving Dennis Dodd, Nicole Auerbach and others, as well as what I gleaned from a podcast on the subject:

IMG held a conference of NCAA D1 commissioners this week and some interesting quotes resulted. Brett Yormark said he expects that the B12 will expand, most likely into the Pacific time zone, in the near future. When asked if that would be for basketball (Gonzaga), he said if we add for basketball only, excellent; if football is included, great. He wants to be in all four time zones.

George Kliavkoff, on the other hand, pushed off the idea that the P12 media rights deal will be finished this month. He said the prime reason is that they are waiting for the California regents to vote on 12/14/22 either to stop UCLA from moving to the B10 or to let them go. He then added that part of the reason to wait is because of the Colorado hiring of Deion Sanders, which Kliavkoff said will add value to the conference, thereby providing a better deal for the conference. His logic was that the Buffs would soon get to 10 wins, reach the Top 10 and be of greater value to Amazon, Fox, etc. [He may be kidding himself, or trying to kid the media outlets. There's no way he can predict how successful Neon Deion will be at that level.]

Kliavkoff's last thought was shot down by Bob Thompson, who retired as the Fox Sport CEO awhile back. Thompson said such a hiring would have no impact. He said that "the AFLAC duck might pay Deion more", but no media firm will do likewise for the P12.

It appears that Kliavkoff is grasping at straws, trying to save his conference. By contrast, Yormark is in command, lobbing hand grenades at Kliavkoff.

Comment

Make me wonder if both these guys have crossed paths before. Yormark doesn't seem to like Kliavkoff and I think they were both stationed in Vegas in their prior careers.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X