Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a UC alum and Bearcat fan, I am ashamed at how this has been handled. Something is obviously up when a coach brings in HIS recruits then they all bail but... how the AD is handling this is an embarassment. How UC said NOTHING all this time.. is BS. There should have been checks/balances in place at all times... this is a cluster that did not need to be. I'm pissed off and ashamed of my alma mater's handling of this. At this point, I'm more pissed at the AD than anybody else in the matter.

Comment

• After reading The Athletic article it seems like it might be in the best interest of all parties to reach a settlement. Is Brannen willing to take less than the full amount he is owed and is UC willing to pay it out over a few years since they likely cannot pay it all now? That might be the least messy way to do it and allow everyone to move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by bg703 View Post
        After reading The Athletic article it seems like it might be in the best interest of all parties to reach a settlement. Is Brannen willing to take less than the full amount he is owed and is UC willing to pay it out over a few years since they likely cannot pay it all now? That might be the least messy way to do it and allow everyone to move on.
        I hope he doesn't. I hope he stands his ground and says no you're paying me 5.25 million dollars or i'll take you to court for 2/3 years. I hope he digs his heels in and draws the line in the sand.

Comment

• Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
          ... and again.. i gotta ask.. WHY ?! If true... WHY is the AD looking for cause ? What is the core issue that makes the desire to remove JB ? I'm still at a loss to understand the root cause of wanting him gone.

That's why I ask if these two have clashed, crossed paths, or encountered each other previously. Where was the athletic dept. throughout the year during covid protocol. The article mentioned no emails no contact and no communication implying the fault being Jb' s. JB has the primary job of teaching these kids its the ADd job to assure the coach has what he needs to do that job. I think if anyone needs to go its Cunningham. Im willing to bet that Cunningham couldn't be found with a search warrant during the lockdown. But to destroy an up and coming coaches career because he didn't adhere to a limit of hours that he can practice these guys when they are forced to be around each other in 24/ 7 is petty, its idiotic, and its very detrimental to everyone involved. As we look back this is because six kids were not happy because they had to be quarantined for an entire school year ( and longer). You cant allow kids to have free transfer and not expect them to explore that option and then fire the coach because they did so. This whole debacle is ludicrous. And it comes from people who are dedicated to education.

Comment

• If anybody goes, both should go. I have never been impressed with Cunningham and hanging out an employee to dry is a bad look for the institution. Failure to act in a situation like this seems to be par for the course for UC - unfortunately. Just pray Fickell and the football program can stay above all of this.

Comment

• Agree that these are trumped up charges. It sure seems like someone is out to get Brannen. Cunningham? Maybe, but if so, maybe he has been pressured to do so by higher ups. Or even by powerful boosters. There is a lot of money involved. I am just speculating, but it all smells like viscous academic politics to me. Not sure we will ever know for sure what is going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg7173 View Post
                If anybody goes, both should go. I have never been impressed with Cunningham and hanging out an employee to dry is a bad look for the institution. Failure to act in a situation like this seems to be par for the course for UC - unfortunately. Just pray Fickell and the football program can stay above all of this.
                I'm with you, Greg. At this point I'm not a Cunningham fan at all. I know we don't have all the facts but he's pretty much been the invisible man since he arrived here and what I see with his handling of this matter doesn't impress me. This reminds me of the Huggs/Zimpher mess that really hosed us fans for years. I hate these short term AD's that have nothing vested in the pride of the program. They screw things up and then move on to another gig.

Comment

• Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post

I hope he doesn't. I hope he stands his ground and says no you're paying me 5.25 million dollars or i'll take you to court for 2/3 years. I hope he digs his heels in and draws the line in the sand.
                  I understand the impulse to go the legal route. However, the only people who really stand to make money in that scenario are the attorneys. There is no guarantee Brannen would ever receive the full buyout. For example, Kevin Ollie is still in arbitration attempting to have UConn pay him the $10m that remained on his contract.

Comment

• again just maybe the University attorneys are in control and have advised silence.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                      again just maybe the University attorneys are in control and have advised silence.
                      Which is why so very little is known, even after the Athletic articles. I'm still not sure the full extent of what's going on, and the coach's role in and responsibility for whatever led us here. I just hope whatever happens, happens fast.

Comment

again just maybe the University attorneys are in control and have advised silence.
                        Exactly, Leo. UC knows what it's doing here. Legal counsel has advised them not to go public with what it knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertFog View Post
                          Agree that these are trumped up charges. It sure seems like someone is out to get Brannen. Cunningham? Maybe, but if so, maybe he has been pressured to do so by higher ups. Or even by powerful boosters. There is a lot of money involved. I am just speculating, but it all smells like viscous academic politics to me. Not sure we will ever know for sure what is going on.
                          I think this is where I’m landing as well.

Regardless of whether I like or dislike Brannon the hire, the coach or the person - this past year is a complete throwaway.

I’m withholding judgement until I understand what egregious things he did as Coach to warrant destroying the program for the next several years.

While there have been some very questionable things (e.g. the texting incident), I’m not sure I’ve heard enough so far to burn the program down.

There is something more going on and I also believe CLF is following this - if it’s hurt feelings that’s not going to go over well.

Lots of pressure on the relatively new AD.

Comment

• Part of the issue here is that there's a huge disconnect between the basketball coach and AD. Neither have been on the job long enough to throw their weight around and seems like both of them are trying to do just that. It stinks becuase somebody has to come out as a loser here and no matter which way it goes, the program is going to be the biggest loser of all. I think I feel safe in saying that John Cunnigham does not like John Brannen. How Brannen feels about Cunningham is unknown to me.

I don't blame Brannen for digging in on his contract terms. You have to do that in his position becuase the "other side" is trying to screw you out of a lot of money. Because JB's done that, the big legal eagles are circling and now there's no way out of this other than something really ugly.

There are people on the BoT that are not amused with this situation. The org chart has Brannen on the 4th tier. BoT > President > AD > Coach. Despite the fact that the coach is compensated more, he's not at the top of the pile. If JB's basically going to challenge people up the org chart from him, he's going to lose. If he's smart he'll back off, settle, walk away and salvage his career.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• If UC gets behind JB or says anything positive, it will hurt in a law suit against them. if it says anything negative, it will also hurt. There is a reason why their has been no comment. The articles we are reading in the press etc. just shows you what a lame bunch of stat reporters they are. There is a lot of money and careers on the line as we all know. We might get a reason in the long run, buttttttttttttttttt.

Comment

If UC gets behind JB or says anything positive, it will hurt in a law suit against them. if it says anything negative, it will also hurt. There is a reason why their has been no comment. The articles we are reading in the press etc. just shows you what a lame bunch of stat reporters they are. There is a lot of money and careers on the line as we all know. We might get a reason in the long run, buttttttttttttttttt.
                                Yeah, the press has been really lame. In a similar vein, as noted by someone (Rufus?) yesterday, in retrospect all of the happy talk by Meacham and friends in the Podcast seems misleading.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X