Bob Huggins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
    if you’re a decent human being, you won’t like it. I’m not Catholic.

QUOTE=Lobot;n403099]Here’s the audio. If you’re Catholic, you probably won’t like this.

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/...Vejy7i9nQSL1ug
    [/QUOTE]

Good point
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I am Catholic and I do not like X and I do not like their fans. They are terrible. I am not turned off by Huggin's comments. He said what many of us probably think privately. Someone has to say it. It is kind of like the kid from X a few years ago that supposedly mooned people in a bar and charges were dropped. He did much worse than that and it was all covered up. Being a private school, they get away with anything and everything. Lurch started that brawl, but it was blamed on UC. So on and so on and so on.

Comment

Bob has been a drunken mess for a long time. Chickens finally came home to roost.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
          I am Catholic and I do not like X and I do not like their fans. They are terrible. I am not turned off by Huggin's comments. He said what many of us probably think privately. Someone has to say it. It is kind of like the kid from X a few years ago that supposedly mooned people in a bar and charges were dropped. He did much worse than that and it was all covered up. Being a private school, they get away with anything and everything. Lurch started that brawl, but it was blamed on UC. So on and so on and so on.
          I am not proud of all of my private faults, but I do not have those thoughts privately publicly, or at any time. I haven’t said that word since I was in high school. I hope you’re wrong about “many of us”. There’s no place for those words in our society. They should never be tolerated.

My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

You cannot see that what Bob said is intolerable? Sorry, no matter the amount if dislike for Eggs, that crossed a line. Bob is public figure overseeing the growth and development of young basketball players, and as such, he is held to a higher standard. He admitted as much in his apology statement. Was he wrong to say it was wrong to say?
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
              I know Huggins is old enough to know better but it seems to me that Cunningham is just as culpable. BH is a Catholic and it comes across to me that Huggins was baited. Cunningham is heard laughing apparently he found what Huggs said just as funny or BH was taking an
              enormous amount of glee in setting Huggs up. Why would Cunningham even bring up that particular game to begin with!
              Cunningham is half serious news and half carnival barker and he loves to stir the pot. I find him enertaining at times depending on what mood I am in. Huggins was in Cincy for a long time so he knows how Cunningham is and should have known better. The sad thing is that the exchange between him and Willie would have been hilarious had he not used the F word but that is on the holy grail of words you can't say so I don't think this will end well for Huggins. I think Bob comes from a time when not every word was so offensive and he had a slip of common sense. He should have known that you can't say that today and especially on a radio station with a lot of reach.

Comment

https://wvsportsnow.com/national-bas...ggins-actions/

Jay Bilas, ESPN:
                “I’m stunned by these damaging and offensive comments. What West Virginia’s leadership does in response is up to them, however, the actions West Virginia takes will clearly reveal its true values to all.”

Michael DeCourcy, Sporting News:
                “I’m just baffled. He is an intelligent person and understands what the consequences of something like this can be — for himself and those impacted directly by that slur. I believe he owes the public far more than the apology offered later Monday.”

Jeff Goodman, Stadium:
                “He made a mistake. It was obviously something that he and the school needs to take seriously. Personally, I have a ton of respect for Bob Huggins — not just as a coach, but as a person. He came out immediately and apologized. Sometimes, these are learning lessons for all of us. I hope the school doesn’t overreact and fire him for this.”

Doug Gottlieb, Fox Sports:
                “The crosstown rivalry is probably the nastiest, most competitive yearly showdown in college basketball. Huggs used a word that is now off limits. He apologized, we should move on. While the word is no longer acceptable, it is used in the context of sports banter often, especially by fans for the last 50 years. In time we’ll evolve out of using this word, but not through running a legendary figure off his post.”

Dan Wolken, USA Today:
                “This is an easy call. Any company in America with a public-facing employee making the same comments would fire them by the end of the day. There is no justification for holding a basketball coach to a different standard.”

Comment

This should be interesting since Bob is WV royalty. He's got a new AD in Wren Baker that may not see him the same way the last AD did. I was honestly surprised Baker didn't move on from Huggins when he took over mid year considering the relatively lackluster conference showing last year. The Mountaineers went 19-15 (7-11) made the NCAA strictly based on the schedule strength of the conference last season. Someone fired Larry Harrison and it doesn't seem like anyone wants to admit who did it. That certainly seems dysfunctional on the surface. Then you add yesterday's remarks and I'm not sure sure how you keep him around regardless of the fantasic portal transfer class he signed. The program will go south next year anyway if he were to retire unless Baker makes a really good hire. I hate this for Bob, but Baker should cut his losses. The best scenario for Bob is to resign and settle with the University and go on his way.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                    This should be interesting since Bob is WV royalty. He's got a new AD in Wren Baker that may not see him the same way the last AD did. I was honestly surprised Baker didn't move on from Huggins when he took over mid year considering the relatively lackluster conference showing last year. The Mountaineers went 19-15 (7-11) made the NCAA strictly based on the schedule strength of the conference last season. Someone fired Larry Harrison and it doesn't seem like anyone wants to admit who did it. That certainly seems dysfunctional on the surface. Then you add yesterday's remarks and I'm not sure sure how you keep him around regardless of the fantasic portal transfer class he signed. The program will go south next year anyway if he were to retire unless Baker makes a really good hire. I hate this for Bob, but Baker should cut his losses. The best scenario for Bob is to resign and settle with the University and go on his way.
                    They do love him in WV and the one thing that helps him is the fact that it is a more blue collar and rural state that may not get as excited as say a school in CA, NY or Illinois. If he was coaching USC he would already be gone.

Comment

I appreciate everything Bob did for UC basketball. We had some great, exciting seasons. But I’m glad he’s not our problem anymore.
                      ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

Folks if Huggins is to be disciplined, let it be so. Just don't throw gas on the fire. We know what he said was wrong and no longer acceptable in our culture. He will/is paying for what he said already. We must also go beyond kicking a man when he is down. I wish that it would also no longer be acceptable in our culture.
                        Last edited by leo from jersey; 05-09-2023, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post

Cunningham is half serious news and half carnival barker and he loves to stir the pot. I find him enertaining at times depending on what mood I am in. Huggins was in Cincy for a long time so he knows how Cunningham is and should have known better. The sad thing is that the exchange between him and Willie would have been hilarious had he not used the F word but that is on the holy grail of words you can't say so I don't think this will end well for Huggins. I think Bob comes from a time when not every word was so offensive and he had a slip of common sense. He should have known that you can't say that today and especially on a radio station with a lot of reach.
                          That is especially true in today's cancel culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmfam View Post
                            I appreciate everything Bob did for UC basketball. We had some great, exciting seasons. But I’m glad he’s not our problem anymore.
                            No more nervous off-seasons, waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Comment

Well said. They don’t have to respond to public records requests, which is the extent of investigative journalism in Cincinnati.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                                https://wvsportsnow.com/national-bas...ggins-actions/

Jay Bilas, ESPN:
                                “I’m stunned by these damaging and offensive comments. What West Virginia’s leadership does in response is up to them, however, the actions West Virginia takes will clearly reveal its true values to all.”

Michael DeCourcy, Sporting News:
                                “I’m just baffled. He is an intelligent person and understands what the consequences of something like this can be — for himself and those impacted directly by that slur. I believe he owes the public far more than the apology offered later Monday.”

Jeff Goodman, Stadium:
                                “He made a mistake. It was obviously something that he and the school needs to take seriously. Personally, I have a ton of respect for Bob Huggins — not just as a coach, but as a person. He came out immediately and apologized. Sometimes, these are learning lessons for all of us. I hope the school doesn’t overreact and fire him for this.”

Doug Gottlieb, Fox Sports:
                                “The crosstown rivalry is probably the nastiest, most competitive yearly showdown in college basketball. Huggs used a word that is now off limits. He apologized, we should move on. While the word is no longer acceptable, it is used in the context of sports banter often, especially by fans for the last 50 years. In time we’ll evolve out of using this word, but not through running a legendary figure off his post.”

Dan Wolken, USA Today:
                                “This is an easy call. Any company in America with a public-facing employee making the same comments would fire them by the end of the day. There is no justification for holding a basketball coach to a different standard.”
                                This is pretty funny. If you know anything about the ideologies of the various news and sports outlets you can see that the above opinions align completely with the bias of their network employer.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X