No announcement yet.

2023-24 Roster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWM has just been given a lesson on the bias of the NCAA, ( if he were not aware before) and can probably appreciate even more the tradition that is bearcat basketball having experienced it first hand.

Comment

• Justin Williams full article: ($)

https://theathletic.com/4975489/2023...aogo-reynolds/
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
        CWM has just been given a lesson on the bias of the NCAA, ( if he were not aware before) and can probably appreciate even more the tradition that is bearcat basketball having experienced it first hand.
        I think the lesson is being more broadly learned: there is a new interpretation of hardship to be eligible for undergrad second transfer waivers. Wes and his staff/compliance team believe the players meet the criteria and the NCAA says we are looking at it differently. This is the same story at more schools than just UC, and the NCAA is fairly even handed in the application. Where have you seen bias at blue chip schools? The only case I'm aware of is the UNC football player who won on appeal.

BTW - I do hope Aziz and JAmile win on appeal too.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• So as it stands right now, pending an appeal. Both Jamille Reynolds & Aziz Abandaogo are ineligible to play, pending an appeal.

If? Both are ineligible, this does not leave the Team with a ton of depth under the basket... That being said, if the ruling stands do both leave the team? I can't see either hanging around another year waiting to play.

If so, would we have (2) scholarships open?

Comment

• Well they each have played 3 years. One of those years being the 20-21 Covid year. So I'm guessing the Covid year does not count, so if they sit this year they should each have 2 years? Anyone familiar with the Covid year policy please weigh in.

Comment

• Team headshots
              https://gobearcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcated View Post
                Well they each have played 3 years. One of those years being the 20-21 Covid year. So I'm guessing the Covid year does not count, so if they sit this year they should each have 2 years? Anyone familiar with the Covid year policy please weigh in.
                The way I understand it is that the Covid policy grants an extra year for players who we're in school during the '20-21 season.

Bandaogo was a freshman at Akron during '20-21 . 2 seasons there, one at Utah Valley. He should have 2 years left to play one plus a covid year if he wants to use it. He's a mid level NBA prospect right now so he may not use it.

Reynolds is in the same boat. He played 2 years at UCF with his freshman year in '20-21 and has 2 years to play one plus a COVID year if he wants it.

I think I've longwindedly agreed with you Ed.

Technically, both of them are coaching change casualties. Neither of their previous coaches returned to the school the players transferred from.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
                  So as it stands right now, pending an appeal. Both Jamille Reynolds & Aziz Abandaogo are ineligible to play, pending an appeal.

If? Both are ineligible, this does not leave the Team with a ton of depth under the basket... That being said, if the ruling stands do both leave the team? I can't see either hanging around another year waiting to play.

If so, would we have (2) scholarships open?
                  even if either / both left, they'd still have to sit out a year - think it depends on what nil they're getting from uc, vs. what any other would offer

Comment

• [QUOTE=red_n_black_attack;n406547]

I think the lesson is being more broadly learned: there is a new interpretation of hardship to be eligible for undergrad second transfer waivers. Wes and his staff/compliance team believe the players meet the criteria and the NCAA says we are looking at it differently. This is the same story at more schools than just UC, and the NCAA is fairly even handed in the application. Where have you seen bias at blue chip schools? The only case I'm aware of is the UNC football player who won on appeal.

I wasn't talking specifically on the bias of the transfer waiver. I was referring to the bias, general disrespect, or the favoritism shown towards other problems as opposed to UC, especially as we are located literally between THE Ohio state and Kentucky ( who invented bball according to them)

Comment

• Definitely matters what is printed on your chest as to whether the NCAA sides with you

Comment

• Originally posted by rickscott View Post
                        Definitely matters what is printed on your chest as to whether the NCAA sides with you
                        Unfortunately, they make that very obvious.

Comment

• Since this has become the NCAA two-time waiver thread ...

West Virginia transfer RaeQuan Battle's waiver for immediate eligibility was denied by the NCAA, WVU announced yesterday. Looks like he spent two years ago Washington, two years at Montana State (whereas Aziz and Jamille each played two years at their first program, one at their second) and I guess he wasn't a grad transfer.

Comment

• Just shoot me. They’re going to change the rules for next season and still deny waivers this season.

https://on.ncaa.com/k09gi2t9
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Ohio AG now involved. At least as to Aziz. https://www.wcpo.com/sports/college-...ikely-unlawful

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                                Ohio AG now involved. At least as to Aziz. https://www.wcpo.com/sports/college-...ikely-unlawful
                                The letter Dave Yost sent--found in the article above--apparently mirrors the letter used to help get UNC WR Tez Walker eligible.

It also mentions:
                                - Aziz has submitted compelling evidence of adverse mental health impacts
                                - His decision to leave UVU was largely because of mental health struggles
                                - He has no family in the United States
                                - His girlfriend lives in nearby WV and her family has become his greatest support network
                                - He was a model student at UVU and now is at UC

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X