This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post

I'm sure he will call you, but it will only be to ask for money.

My priority for a coach is for an Ohio guy who understands the State of Cincinnati concept. Kelly got it and Fickell got it.

I would have no problem with Coombs getting the job. He's been successful everywhere he's been - high school, college and pros. And he understands UC. I think he would be better as a head coach than an assistant; he would be the CEO and continue as a great salesman for the program. But he'll have to have very good assistants.
    He wasn't able to make adjustments last year at tOSU and that got him fired. Plus his hand picked players are not up to what he picked previously. I want him as an assistant only.
    Last edited by leo from jersey; 11-28-2022, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
      I also believe that Gino may not be ready. However, he might be a long-term coach who will not leave. That in itself is not reason to hire him. The only other coach we have had that would have never left was Rick Minter. Speaking of Minter, who knows what he could have done if he was recruiting to the Big East instead of independent or CUSA? I would hope that at some time in the future, UC considers Zach C. for the QB coach. As for now, there is nobody within the organization that makes sense naming as head coach. However, Coombs makes sense keeping on the staff because of his local ties and knowledge of UC. Gino makes sense keeping on the staff because he is a UC legend and knows the program. I also believe that we need someone who knows this region. There may be coaches from Georgia, Bama, Clemson that might be interested but do not know the area. How about a UM assistant? It would seem that Michigan has a lot of hot commodities that may make sense (CFP two years in a row).
      Rick Minter's son was the DC at UM and even after heavy graduation losses, he did a great job. I would like to see him. Heck there are many I would like to see come. UC isn't begging.

Comment

Keith Jenkins take on candidates:
        Here are some candidates to replace Luke Fickell as Cincinnati Bearcats head football coach (msn.com)

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

This is why you keep KC as an assistant and co-coordinator. I saw him at tOSU and he needs help with the defense. The guy from Toledo knows the northern half of Ohio and Kevin Wilson although older would know Ohio and Indiana. Wilson left IU under strained conditions although he was the only winner they have had in the last 40 years.
          Kevin Wilson never finished above .500 at IU (they went 14-7 in 2019/20 combined)... also point made, but more like 30 years :-)

Comment

At this stage of the program you need a coach who has recognition to keep the program going forward. You can't go into the B12 with a head coach that never headed before, plus one that the recruits know of to keep as many as possible from hitting thee portal. And you need someone who doesn't have his eye on the next available opportunity. I thought we had that it Fick. I believed he was turning UC into a destination program and now we're hearing he had Notre Dame or OSU aspirations all along.
            I'm not college coach but to me thier would be more notoriety and prestige in building a program into a destination than making a lateral move albeit the big10.

Comment

Has anyone heard what assistants are going with Luke? I would assume Brady would go with him, but that is somebody I wish would stay. He has such a connection with the players on a day to day basis. So many of the rest of the coaches have a UC slant to them, do they help Luke if he goes to Wisc? Does he keep Jim Leonhard as D-coordinator? If so, do we keep our d-staff? It will be an interesting couple of weeks.

Comment

Tom Herman HC
                Jim Leonard DC

This would be a home run. Leonhard is a Fickell Clone. DC who took over an impossible situation, loved by players and fans... and booted to the side. Could take over once Herman leaves.
                Last edited by Flying Jalapeno; 11-28-2022, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Candidates from Justin Williams ($)
                  https://theathletic.com/3944140/2022...1&redirected=1

Comment

Something to think about on Matt Campbell. He's gone downhill a bit in the BIg 12 but he was recruiting the Cincinnati area very well until Fickell got to UC. When that happened, ISU's local recruiting crashed.
                    Last edited by Lobot; 11-28-2022, 01:59 PM.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                      Since we’ve been around forever and have gotten good at this coaching turnover thing, who do you want ?

Brian Hartline
                      Deion Sanders
                      Jesse Minter
                      Willie Fritz ( who is about to land at GT)
                      Kerry Coombs
                      Gino Guidugli
                      Mike Tressel

add more if you have them
                      Brian Hartline. He's a master recruiter and from Ohio. Offensive version of Fickell.

Comment

UC has become a perennial team in the rankings and made the CFP last year (something Wisconsin has never done). UC should be able to select from proven coaches with HC experience. They should no longer have to be 'reaching' for assistants and hope they can do the HC job.

Comment

Jamey Caldwell from Coastal? How about Gary Patterson who knows the Big 12 well. I still think that we need Ohio roots.

Comment

What about Frost? Or did he just get lucky at UCF?

Comment

Not that anyone asked for his opinion, and who's to say he isn't tight with Hartline from when BH was in the NFL, but Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network says: "My top choice for Cincinnati HC-Brian Hartline. He's a rising star."

Comment

Kyle Rowland of the Toledo Blade: Tom Herman's name has been linked to the Cincinnati vacancy, but sources have told The Blade that he would not be interested. Herman was born in Ohio but raised in California, and a majority of his career has been spent in the south(west), a region where he has deep connections.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X