This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
    Totally agree with Rufus on this point - this is an extremely important hire for the football program. It could be the difference in fading into obscurity or maintaining a presence among the top programs in the country. UC needs someone with significant head coaching experience, has a track record of recruiting well and developing players to play professionally. As much as I hate to admit it, Urban Meyer has all those traits. UC could hire him, let him coach for a few years and also allow him to groom his successor for when he leaves.
    This is an important hire. Urban is almost a guaranteed win 10 games next year. Is he worth it? I am not in his camp because of what it does for our image. Oh St already had that image. Do we want to be know as win at all costs? I cannot answer that question for others.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

This is an important hire. Urban is almost a guaranteed win 10 games next year. Is he worth it? I am not in his camp because of what it does for our image. Oh St already had that image. Do we want to be know as win at all costs? I cannot answer that question for others.
      Who else can UC hire that will instantly maintain the credibility of the program? I am with you about the off-field issues. But the on-field product may make him worth a good hard look. I agree it is a balancing act that I fortunately don’t have to make.

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

No, it's not worth it. The guy is great coach but he drags scandals into play at every stop.

Also, see Deion on this one too. He ran a prep school in Dallas a while back called Prime Prep that was basically a diploma mill for basketball players. Academic fraud and lots of financial garbage going on. Students left hanging in the wind. I'm not entirely sure how much of that was Deion and how was the rest of the admin but it got pretty ugly. Deion at one point got locked out of the building by the administration.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I think it is an Urban Legend that he will be the next HC, but I would welcome it. Many other college coaches didn't fare well in the NFl as it is two different environments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

No, it's not worth it. The guy is great coach but he drags scandals into play at every stop.

Also, see Deion on this one too. He ran a prep school in Dallas a while back called Prime Prep that was basically a diploma mill for basketball players. Academic fraud and lots of financial garbage going on. Students left hanging in the wind. I'm not entirely sure how much of that was Deion and how was the rest of the admin but it got pretty ugly. Deion at one point got locked out of the building by the administration.
            Exactly!! I am not willing to sell my university soul to the devil for our football record. We are hopefully above that. I want a guy with Fick integrity not a win at all cost and smear our image guy.

Secondly, Red and Black, how do you figure hiring Urban guarantees 10 wins next year??? Not gonna happen, I don't care who coaches. Why do you think Fick picked now to leave?

Comment

• Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

Who else can UC hire that will instantly maintain the credibility of the program? I am with you about the off-field issues. But the on-field product may make him worth a good hard look. I agree it is a balancing act that I fortunately don’t have to make.
              Definitely glad Cunningham has to make that call, tehn convinve Pinto and BoT. There are fewer "top jobs" open at the moment with Auburn, Wisconsin, and Nebraska filled. There are a few proven head coaches available, like Tom Herman or Deion, but I think it is okay to hire a guy like Minter, Hartline or Golesh too. All five of them are ahead of Urban in my mind, and it isn't just Urban's off field. Four of the five are currently coaching very highly rated players, which could help with recruiting and transfer portal. Urban has had health issues too, as in pretty big time scares for him and his family.

There's one more factor, I call it being Bearcat Strong or the Bearcat way. The guys on this team are used to winning. They work hard in classroom, film room, weight room, and it shows on and off the field. There3 are some minor off-the-field issues like Mario, but those are few/far between and usually really younger kids. There will not be a mass defection of players/talent. The guys who stick, will show the young guys how to get the most out of the spectacular facilities.

Had Luke left in year 2 or 3, or even 4: we would have had to overpay a guy to come here or gamble soley on cheaper rising star. We are now in a position to properly pay some proven talent or adequately reward an assistant. I truly believe we don't need the name recognition of Urban to lead this program. We can afford to be selective in not accepting all that he brings.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post

Exactly!! I am not willing to sell my university soul to the devil for our football record. We are hopefully above that. I want a guy with Fick integrity not a win at all cost and smear our image guy.

Secondly, Red and Black, how do you figure hiring Urban guarantees 10 wins next year??? Not gonna happen, I don't care who coaches. Why do you think Fick picked now to leave?
                Urban is a good coach who will open soem NIL avenues. In today's transfer portal, plus over a week and half to signing day, he could lure guys like Card from Texas or other high recruits, including some recent decomitted guys. He is a good coach, operates like a CEO and will get more out of each member of staff, and in turn make each player better. Our team has much better overall talent level than when Fick came in, and the culture is good/ or at least geared toward wining. These are also my reasoning why several other candidates can have success, though less likely in year one.

Comment

• I agree with your Urban coaching assessment but 10 wins next year in transition seems highly unlikely to me. I just don't want his tactics and baggage. Thats more costly than the huge salary he would command.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                    I agree with your Urban coaching assessment but 10 wins next year in transition seems highly unlikely to me. I just don't want his tactics and baggage. Thats more costly than the huge salary he would command.
                    The last time he replaced LF he went undefeated.

Comment

• In fact, my wife gave me a tee shirt--the Ohio Statement - 12-0 . She also gave me a Urban Legend hoodie. She went to grad school at both UC and tOSU. I met her while in grad school at UC.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

The last time he replaced LF he went undefeated.
                        At Ohio State. Not exacty the same.

Comment

• The UC job is a desirable job. It's an established program moving into a Power 5 league. Everyone in the past 20 years who has coached there has won. Kelly, Jones, Fickell, even Tuberville (overall 29-22 at UC), all have won at UC. Coaches want to go where they can win and make money. UC can offer both. There are plenty of qualified candidates with good track records and HC experience to take the job.

Making a panic decision to hire an assistant on the basis of a thin resume is a shaky proposition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

At Ohio State. Not exacty the same.
                            I would very much like that. undefeated season. Remember LF took a team that had lost a lot due to the infractions at Ohio State. Urban didn't have his roster yet, but he got a lot out of them.
                            Last edited by leo from jersey; 11-30-2022, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• I looked it up. Second game Pitt then Miami

Comment

• I suspect the one tough year Fickell had at O$U was a learning experience that prepared him for success when he showed up in Clifton.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X