Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I kind of like the UM hire it it does pan out that way. He has the ego to prove to the world that his failures in the NFL was a fluke. He could instantly recruit / transfer players here to maintain our winning and keep us relevant for a couple years into the B12. He could groom the next coach to replace him as He looks towards greener $ pastures and His name would automatically attract top players to the school. But I do agree that we should not relent on the standards that are UC and bearcat brand ethics and standards. If the scandals could be kept at bay could Urban Meyer be tolerated for three ,fours years to get us established as someone that must be still not underestimated going into a power 5 conference? Intriguing thoughts.
    Last edited by Rufus; 11-30-2022, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• anyone have confirmed contacts? I know for a fact Hartline has been contacted but anyone else hear anything or just rumors still.

Comment

• Anyone know who is lobbying for the job (either through the media or through an agent) the hardest? Yes, I have seen the list of candidates but I want to know who is really stoked to get an interview.

Regarding HC experience v. Assistant , it is really hit or miss. I think Shane Beamer is going to work out just fine at South Carolina and he had no HC experience - of course he served on the staffs of many great HCs and football powers (great resume). NIL and working the transfer portal are so important now - you have to find the players that will buy in, and fit your system. Obviously you want to see demonstrated leadership qualities in your shortlist of candidates. Young or old, I think good coaches are good communicators and they have to bring energy, and sell their vision for the program to prospective and current players. If you can relate to players, age does not matter. Saban and Pete Carroll are 'old' but still relate well to players. I like Golesh, Minter, Hartline, Chadwell, etc. Here's an out of the box suggestion - call Jerrod Mayo of the Patriots, see if he'll bite.
        Last edited by JohnFrancis; 11-30-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

The last time he replaced LF he went undefeated.
          Apples and oranges.

I recall the last time we played against him (Fla) he claimed he had a heart condition and told his players this was his last game for health reasons to inspire them to win one for the gipper against a Bearcat team they otherwise would not have beaten. Plenty of tears and boo hoos and emotional overachieving. Then he changes schools and coaches 6 more years. There is a litany of indiscretions and character flaws that cannot be overlooked or expected not to reoccur. We can do better and don't have to settle for this risk regardless of how good a coach he might be.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post

Apples and oranges.

I recall the last time we played against him (Fla) he claimed he had a heart condition and told his players this was his last game for health reasons to inspire them to win one for the gipper against a Bearcat team they otherwise would not have beaten. Plenty of tears and boo hoos and emotional overachieving. Then he changes schools and coaches 6 more years. There is a litany of indiscretions and character flaws that cannot be overlooked or expected not to reoccur. We can do better and don't have to settle for this risk regardless of how good a coach he might be.
            The Bearcats would never have beaten Florida that year. UF were likely robbed of playing for the national championship that season and beat UC by four touchdowns.

I think Urban’s baggage is worth it. He would bring instant credibility to the program. Plus, as Rufus indicates, he will want to prove everyone wrong about his past indiscretions.
            Last edited by London 'Cat; 11-30-2022, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

Maybe we offer him the job just to screw CLF?

Added - This is an interesting article about steppingstones in college football. Is the UC football head coach position a 'stepping stone' job? (wcpo.com)
              I suppose Mick would be an example of how long a coach bleeding black and red would stay in this day and age. We're taking this personally but, save for Saban and Swinney, what programs have long tenured coaches?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                anyone have confirmed contacts? I know for a fact Hartline has been contacted but anyone else hear anything or just rumors still.
                You won't hear anything on the search unless it's leaked from the other end of the discussion by friends or an agent. John Cunningham is very quiet about this stuff.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  Development : The offense is rallying for Gino to get the job.

Positive : player buy in

Negative : if it’s not him, lots of people in the portal
                  Keith Jenkins of the Enquirer:

I've gotten calls or texts from several former Cincinnati Bearcats football players and staffers. The consensus is they want OC Gino Guidugli to be elevated to head coach. "He helped build that place," one person told me.

(Reminds me of the Erik Martin situation, though obviously a bit different b/c GG is already on staff here)

Comment

• UC chose to go into the Power 5 B-12 and play big boy football. In most Power 5 programs the Head coach is more like a CEO. Between athletes, coaches, trainers and various staff he has to deal with hundreds of people. Hiring/firing, recruiting, dealing with alums and boosters, dealing with the administration, dealing with the media, you name it. And budgets in the multiple tens of millions of dollars. Being a great position coach does not necessarily prep you for all that.

Look at how most Power 5 schools usually hire head coaches. Here are some examples. Wisconsin (Fickell), LSU (Kelly), USC (Riley), UCLA (Chip Kelly), Ole Miss (Kiffin), TX A&M (Fisher), Nebraska (Frost and then Ruhle), Mich St (Tucker), Tenn (Huepel), Purdue (Brohm), Minnesota (Fleck), Auburn (Freeze), Miami FL (Cristobal), Penn St (Franklin). All of those guys had 1 or in most cases multiple years of Head Coach experience going in to their current job.

Assistants are just more of a crap shoot. Venables was supposed to be a home run hire, but OK went 6-6 this year. The jury is out on Freeman at ND (although I think he will likely pan out). Day at O$U is a success thus far, but I have to wonder what happens if he keeps losing to U of M. AZ St hired Dillingham, but they have made lots of weird hires.

This hire is a career defining moment for the AD. Failure is not an option.

Comment

• Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

The Bearcats would never have beaten Florida that year. UF were likely robbed of playing for the national championship that season and beat UC by four touchdowns.

I think Urban’s baggage is worth it. He would bring instant credibility to the program. Plus, as Rufus indicates, he will want to prove everyone wrong about his past indiscretions.
                      Bowl games are usually won by the team that wants to be there the most, not the better team necessarily. Florida was reeling with disappointment and Urban found a rather bizzare way to overcome that. This is also the year that the Bearcats went 12-1, were ranked very high and Kelly had already bolted leaving them no coaching staff for the bowl game and preparation. Very sad season ending.

Sorry, I just don't like Urban and couldn't support, financially or emotionally, a change in that direction.
                      Question: how can we possibly lobby for Urban yet condemn Xavier for Sean Miller??

Comment

I agree. He's worth the risk. Instant recognition and recruiting success.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post

Bowl games are usually won by the team that wants to be there the most, not the better team necessarily. Florida was reeling with disappointment and Urban found a rather bizzare way to overcome that. This is also the year that the Bearcats went 12-1, were ranked very high and Kelly had already bolted leaving them no coaching staff for the bowl game and preparation. Very sad season ending.

Sorry, I just don't like Urban and couldn't support, financially or emotionally, a change in that direction.
                          Question: how can we possibly lobby for Urban yet condemn Xavier for Sean Miller??
                          I don’t like Urban either. But I can’t think of any hire that would give UC what he can at this moment in time. There is a key distinction between Miller and Meyer - Miller got caught violating the rules of NCAA. Meyer was never suspected of violating NCAA rules, it was his staff and the way he handled circumstances that brought an end to his career at tO$U. He will want to prove to everyone that he has changed. If he can do that, which I am certain he will be given a short lease with no tolerance for nonsense by Cunningham, he is absolutely worth the risk, in my opinion.

Comment

• That had nothing to do with his going 12-0 after replacing LF. Stop dragging in the herring.

Comment

I don’t like Urban either. But I can’t think of any hire that would give UC what he can at this moment in time. There is a key distinction between Miller and Meyer - Miller got caught violating the rules of NCAA. Meyer was never suspected of violating NCAA rules, it was his staff and the way he handled circumstances that brought an end to his career at tO$U. He will want to prove to everyone that he has changed. If he can do that, which I am certain he will be given a short lease with no tolerance for nonsense by Cunningham, he is absolutely worth the risk, in my opinion.
                              You beat me to it. UM was loyal to the coach who gave him his start. It was that coach's grandson who beat his wife. UM was wrong for covering it up, but would have stayed except the top donor's daughter had an anti-abuse organization. Plus UM was getting very big with the money. There was a lot behind the scenes.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Keith Jenkins of the Enquirer:

I've gotten calls or texts from several former Cincinnati Bearcats football players and staffers. The consensus is they want OC Gino Guidugli to be elevated to head coach. "He helped build that place," one person told me.

(Reminds me of the Erik Martin situation, though obviously a bit different b/c GG is already on staff here)
                                people hate change and love the known. Gino is not qualified for this job. ****, he’s not qualified to be offensive coordinator at Wisconsin.

My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X