This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
    I do not think that UConn will want to leave the Big East. Sure, more money and a home for their football team but it just doesn't make sense from their perspective.

Also, the PAC is promising more access to players and coaches during games. Even soundless cameras from the coaches booth.
    Uconn doesn't have a choice. They would be out of there to a football conference with competitive tv money(big 4) in a heartbeat. They're bleeding money in that athletic dept. big time. You can say all youi want about bball success, but it doesn't fund athletic dept's with fball. Currently, there are over twice as many Nba players on rosters from B12 schools vs. Big East. The adage that their programs languished in the AAC is an excuse for bad coaching hires, and transition(see J Calhoun). You can recruit just as many top players to the B12 vs what's left of the Big East all day long. Jay Wright is gone.

Comment

• It is colorfully written but still does not add clarity to anything about the PAC media deal except that they may end up on USA Network. The Pac-12 might be screwed after ESPN drops out of TV deal (msn.com)
      It is almost like Bowlsby asserting that ESPN was colluding to destroy the Big 12.

Comment

• Some bad news for a certain PAC school which may indicate things are not good for the conference. WSU financial woes signal red flag from Pac-12 country (msn.com)

Comment

• I haven't seen this mentioned yet. The ACC has approved revenue sharing. From what I have seen on various sites, most agree that this is only a short term fix and won't prevent any one from improving their situation if provided the chance. I assume that is general consensus.

https://www.outkick.com/acc-agrees-t...for-shortterm/

Comment

• The answer to the second question is very interesting. It speculates that in the 2030's, that there will most likely be three power conferences. The Big 12 is one of them. Pac-12 mailbag: No accountability for school presidents, the Power Five left-behinds and more (tucson.com)

Comment

• Colorado AD chimes in:

https://awfulannouncing.com/college-...alignment.html
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Colorado has been in "substantive" talks with the Big 12 about possibly joining the growing league, a source with knowledge of the discussions tells CBS Sports.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...eaving-pac-12/

Comment

• I saw a graphic on twitter last night showing the various amounts a school supplements the athletic department from general funds. Very few schools run in the black, or are totally self-sufficient. I found it interesting that schools with larger subsidies also had low tv revenue which leads me to believe most athletic departments are trying to keep up with the Big10 and SEC in terms of actual spending versus revenue.

A few notes of interest:
                  1. OU, UTAustin, and Kansas State are the only Big 12 schools with zero subsidy.
                  2. UCF and UH have 2 of the three highest subsidies, so they were truly acting like a P5 program.
                    1. UC has a nearly $27 million subsidy and was also spending at upper tier levels.
                  3. Being in the Big10 usually meant lower or no subsidy, yet Rutgers had a $24 million subsidy.
                  4. Memphis, S Fla, and SDSU are trying real hard to invest in programs seeking P5 invite and higher tv revenue.
                  5. Both the ACC and Pac10 had teams in the top mid-tier.

https://twitter.com/TJAltimore/statu...064725507?s=20
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• I’ll check the graphic but I’m Curious how much of the subsidy was Covid related
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• This is more like subraction than expansion but this article out of a Nebraska outlet seems to think the super conferences are ready to cut the deadweight which is something we've discussed numerous times on here. This is the second article this week I've seen with this premise so there might be something to it this go around.

https://huskercorner.com/2023/05/30/...s-kicking-out/
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Colorado could be headed in our direction ($)

https://theathletic.com/4570673/2023...2-realignment/
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Nothing really new coming out of the Big 12 meetings. Here are five potential expansion options. Also, it is always fun reading replies to a tweet. Big 12 Expansion: 5 Scenarios for Future Conference Realignment (msn.com)

Comment

• Today, the gossip mill has hit high gear.
                            According to this "mumble jumble", the Big 10 has vetted teams. Big Ten Reportedly 'Vetted' 10 Schools For Possible Expansion (msn.com)
                            And this basically says Colorado and Arizona to the Big 12. Patrick Kinahan: 'News' cycle churns often on Pac-12, Big 12 storylines | KSL.com
                            Even more chatter about a lot of "nothing" but it does have PAC fans worried. Big 12 expansion speculation swirls around Pac-12's Arizona Wildcats (usatoday.com) Even the Cincy Enquirer is reporting on it.
                            Last edited by bearcatbret; 06-06-2023, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• Funny how all of these news outlets are reporting things based on the "Swaim show" who we know is unreliable. Just throwing out nonsense articles with no real information behind it.

Comment

• The Enquirer report directly credits Swaim, who is very biased against the Pac10. His tweets are sometimes a little too much vitriol. Swaim is not the only one reporting the imminent demise of the Pac10 or even that CU could join the Big 12 soon. Until there is a formal announcement, all of this is rumor. To be fair, Swaim has a lot of connections due to his recruiting work, but not sure how far up the foodchain some of those connections reach.
                                Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 06-07-2023, 11:54 AM.
                                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X